locker or lsd

blown XJ

im getting a dana 44 for the front of my xj. im debating between an ox locker or a detroit truetrac gear drivin limited slip. im cant decide which one to get. i like the ox cause i can chose locked or unlocked. anyone with experience with either one of this diffs can you tell me the pros and cons of each. thanks

33" is about the max tire size that the TrueTrac works well with, when running 35" or larger it doesn't seem to transfer torque to the wheel with traction quite as well as it did with smaller tires. Likely due to the increased leverage and mass of the larger tires. So for up to 33" tires the Truetrac performs well and is nearly invisible onroad and off.

The Ox costs more, the cable can be a little finicky to adjust exactly right, and since it does use a cable you generally have more moving parts to fail. Not as KISS simple as the LS. But of course it provides 100% lockup when needed most.

If I were to purchase a selectable locker, I'd take a hard look for one that is a limited slip when unlocked as opposed to being an open diff. More bang for your buck and you would need to lock it less often.

I run the OX in front and love it. It certainly costs more than an LSD, and I had mine professionally installed, so I don't know about how hard it was. But it works when I need it to, with relatively little hassle. Pulling the cable lever isn't as mindless as flipping a switch for an air locker, but there's a lot less to go wrong with the OX than with an ARB, for instance. As an added bonus, you get a bullet-proof front diff cover that will stand up to rocks on the trail with ease. It also has a drain plug so you don't have to break the seal in order to change out the fluid.

Back