Need Help

cooper

I own a 99' Wrangler Sahara. Last weekend my jeep got severely rained inside when my top was down on the free-way. An hour or so later my jeep had the following problems. The airbag light stayed on for 2 days. My check engine light is still on (5-days), and my jeep is running very hard. It often will stall out when I come to a stop. It will bogged down when I try to accelerate and will backfire when I accelerate as well. It sounds/fells like it is miss-firing or some ignition related problem. Again, my check-engine light is still on and am looking for some advice. I am trying to avoid taking my jeep to the Chrysler dealer because of previous bad service and avoid paying $75.00 to have my jeep hooked up to a diagnosis machine and have them over charge me for something that can be fixed by myself. I have checked my distributor cap and it is dry and appears to not have any cracks in it. What else should I look at.

Any help for my situation would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

You can pull trouble codes from your Jeep's computer by using a paper clip and inserting it into two of the pin locations on the diagnostic connector. The dealer should be able to tell you which pins to use. This will make your check engine light flash in a certain pattern, then flash corresponding to a number (like 32) which represents a code for the system that is malfunctioning. Any dealer or mechanic shop should be able to tell you what number represents what system.
--BE AWARE-- PUTTING A PAPER CLIP IN THE WRONG PINS WILL COST YOU A LOT MORE THAN $75 (PROBABLY A NEW COMPUTER), SO BE SURE YOU KNOW WHICH TWO TO USE BEFORE YOU DO IT!!!
GOOD LUCK

Here's a suggestion. When my partner bought his TJ, I remember the dealer telling us the dash was designed to be washed down so rain water should not be a problem. But we did have similar things go wrong, and another TJ Jeeper we know had those without ever getting it wet.Here is what we found. The dash panel behind the gauges is a plug in unit and the contacts weren't connecting properly,on one TJ we could create and cure the problems by just smacking the dash with your hand. The other had to be taken apart, and if I remember correctly, it comes apart pretty easy. Some of the jeeps have a type of corrosion grease on the connectors which is creating intermitten contact or you might have moisture and just need to take it apart , clean it, and put it back together.This might help and save you some money too.What's nice about a Jeep is that a lot of times repairs are something very simple.

Thanks Alot for your reply. I am going to try this tonight and see what I come up with. Hope all is well and thanks again.

Tom-

if the lights go out it's proble just water in the conectors
[addsig]

Back