Lug nut rounded

Bullet3600

Ok here's the latest, I had tires put on the front and the A--H-le stripped one of my lugs completely round. He couldn't get it off and now I can't either. I've heated it, smashed on a smaller socket to no avail, and it's the last one I need off so I can change my rotors. Does anyone know how to get it off or snap of the lug? :-x :-x :-x :-x ....Bullet[addsig]

I had a similar problem with a locking lugnut that was stripped. I took it to a local tire shop and they pounded on a special tool. It was kind of like a socket but it was round inside with ridges. They then used an impact gun and the lug spun right off. As a last resort you may have to just cut/grind off the offending lugnut and then put a new stud in. [addsig]

I had a crap socket and I spot welded it to the lug nut. You need to buy another lug nut anyways. Afterwards I took a hammer to socket and I was able to free it from my spot weld. Be careful.[addsig]

Thanks guys, Midas is just down the road I'll bring it to them to see if they have that tool......Bullet[addsig]

you could try putting a vice grips on it really tight, then slipping a steel pipe over the vice grip handle and use it as a breaker bar... make sure its a long pipe and hollow of course![addsig]

Just for the future. Lock nuts are removed by thiefs with a 13/16 impact socket, a hammer and an electric gun. Most tire shops use the same process with the air gun. The special socket that most tire shops use is an overpriced 13/16. Most shops have stop using them.

ecor[addsig]

when i bought my yj it had a locking lug on the spare , and of course the key didnt come with it . i used a sharpe chisel and hammer . put the chisel in the groove and just kept working at it about 20 min . later it was off. .....odax ;-) [addsig]

are you using 6 point or 12 point sockets?[addsig]

The tool referred too is most easily described as a reverse 'EZ-out'. You set it on the end of the socket and spin it on until it grabs and takes the socket off. I worked at a tire shop for a couple years and this socket proved invaluable when you get in the old hoopies that some people bring in or the lost key to a lockin set. If you get the chance to buy one, do it, they are worth the price. If not for you, but some day I am sure you will find someone who needs to use it. [addsig]

I brought it back, he heated it and tried to use diff size impact sockets(I think it made it worse). I was going to stop by midas or the Goodyear dealer tonight but ran out of time. I'll bring it in the morning, and getting a reverse ez out sounds like a good idea. I have a regular set of ez outs and they have paid for themselves many times over.
Tug I didn't believe you were ignoring me on the 4wd matter it's just that trying to find out why it's not working is driving me nuts :) ........Bullet[addsig]

Like mentioned, weld an old socket to the lug, or another lug, then back it off. Walmart did this to me on aluminum wheels, they paid to have the lug nut torched off. It's easy to replace the lug when it's all done.[addsig]

Hey Bullet... ya might try going by Sears and getting their new "rounded nut" removal tools. No I don't hvae the name of them but I have both sets (how smart is that?)...

These look kinda like sockets but have a blade type of device made into the inside of them. The more you turn trying to remove the rounded off nut the harder they bite into it.

I've used mine for a little of everything on the Jeeps and around the farm and steel/balcksmith shop. Very happy with them.

Good luck,

Chris[addsig]

A buddy bought a YJ with those weird lugnuts that requires special socket to remove. He didn't have it when it came time for a brake job. I just so happen to have a nut splitter in the tool box that solved the problem. Most tire & wheel shops have them (just in case). I bought it years ago off the Snap-On truck.

On an other note, he had aftermarket lugnuts. The factory lug wrench was too small :-( I also carry a 4-way under the rear seat. :-D Yeah, You guessed it, I used to be a Boy Scout ;-) [addsig]

Thanks guys you all gave great advice, well the idiot gotthe wheels off. He tried the reverse ez out no luck then a hammer drill still no luck then last resort the good old acetylene torch. He replaced the stud and nuts. The only problem was is that he weakend the alloy wheel and discolored it, Now I am in search of a 15x7 factory 5 spoke mag for my 88 XJ so he can replace it.................Bullet[addsig]

Back in the ol'days we used to weld our wheels on and hope for no failure. I'm glad they came up with an easier way[addsig]

Sears sells the tool to remove them you get different sizes which should solve the problem then I would go to however put the lugs on so tight and threaten their life lugs only need to be 85 to 100 ftlbs.[addsig]

The final outcome was as follows, the bonehead at the tire shop sent me to his mechanic to remove the wheel, then he replaced the stud, lug nuts, and wheel. Now I'm a happy camper again :p .........Bullet[addsig]

Back