Alloy or Steel

What're the differences and pros and cons of alloy or steel rims?

Alloy- unsprung wait is down, PERTIER and are available in numberous designs and configurations

Steel- can be straightened when rocks are hit and it bends instead of cracking like the alloys. come in a variety of sizes and designs, can easily be painted to what ever color you desire.

damage a Steely it can be bent back into shape

damage a alloy might as well just throw them away:shades:

Black steel rock crawlers something on the lines of this

112403lg-1.jpg

Although steel may be bent or hammered back into shape. Steel rusts, not only from the outside which is what most observe, but the inside caused from condensation and air pumps with poor water collector/separators. Alloy doesn't rust, however, once damaged, it is scrap. The benefits of steel is that most larger tires fit these type of rims. That isn't to say that if you know where you could find a water cnc machine, and have lots of cash, you couldn't have them made. It is of choice and finances.

Sure steel rusts but you can take them off, take the tires off, sand blast them, coat them in etching primer and re-paint them any color you wish as stated above, the only down side to steel rims is that they tend to weigh a little more than alloys, steel rims are for the offroader and daily driver, alloys alot of people are very cautious of when driving offroad, I just bought a set of moabs off an 07 jk, bought them for my yj, and I'm not worried about bashing them due to wanting steelies when I go to bigger tires, but that's just me, if your comfortable with rock crawling on alloys and taking a chance at breaking them go ahead but I recommend steelies.

How much would a set of 5 run me?
set of 5 for about $330
Summit racing is the cheapest that I have found for Cragars D's but the V5 Cragars are a little cheaper and look as good.:shades:
Blk rock & cragar are same . . .one gloss blk other satin. Same wheel

Back