PLEASE HELP ME! I have Questions!

hey guys is have a 1993 yj jeep and have a few questions,

Does it come stock with a 4cyl engine?

Does it come stock with a 4 speed manual trans?

It has new 33x12.5 tires on it, on new MT rims, Has new suspension, lockers.
If i wanted to sell it what would it be worth??

THANKS ALOT GUYS!

Welcome to the Z.

The '93 YJ was available with either the 2.5L 4cyl engine or the 4.0L inline 6cyl engine. The manual transmission is a 5spd, the AX5 for the 4cyl and the AX15 for the 6cyl.

Check out Kelly Bluebook or Nada Guide to get an idea what it's worth in your area.

Okay thanks alot. The jeep has a 4cyl engine, but there is only a 4 speed trans in it. Does that mean that the trans in it is from a different car??? :???:

Not necessarily. Does the shifter knob indicate 4 forward gears? Is there a slot to shift all the way right and up?

Jeep did use the AX4 4spd behind some 2.5L engines in some XJ's and MJ's but never a YJ.

it could be just hte wrong knob or maybe someone put a trans from a cherokee or comanche in, you never know

if you are on oahu or any of the island smaller then that, i don't think you need a 5 speed anyway. i know when we lived there, you almost didn't need a car

Hey guys thanks alot. As for the shift knob, there insnt that little picture on the knob to indicate the gears. It has a different shift knob, but when i try to go into 5th gear, if feels like there "is" a place, but it doesnt go into gear, its just neutral.... Im not worried about having a 5th gear, it would just be good to know what kind of transmission is in my car.

As for the motor, I was wondering how i can find out what year or exactly what type of engine I have in the jeep?? The guy told me that the engine was swapped out, but he didnt know what kind. How can I find out what kind of engine is in the car? I know its a jeep engine, i just dont know what kind/year/model...

ALSOO!! I took the jeep out yesterday and it gave me problems. With my mechanical skills, i couldnt figure it out, and I tried asking all the other mechanics i know..alot.. ..
WHat happens is itll run fine and after it starts heating up (15min or driving) itll start to sort of act like its running out of gas.. At the higher rpms itll start to skip out... THen it gets worse if i keep trying to run the jeep. It goes until i cant even let out the clutch because it just dies.....I eliminated it as a fuel problem, so the only other options is ignition or electrical.. Is this a common jeep problem??? what do you think it might be???

Sounds like you have the stock AX5 5spd transmission with the common broken 5th gear. The clip that holds 5th gear on the shaft breaks and allows the gear to slide out of position, resulting in what seems like neutral where 5th should be.

You should be fine running like that as long as the broken pieces of clip stay at the bottom of the transmission.

Ohhhh!!! okay. Thats great to know. This is my first jeep EVER and i have NO prior knowledge about jeeps at all. This kind of information is awesome. But so youre saying that it shouldnt be a problem? Is it an easy fix? or is there serious work that has to be done to get it back in working order? Im not worried about having a 5th gear, just peace of mind knowing its in working order...

And to superj , i ended up getting it fixed. It ended up being the wire that goes from the battery to the main fuse box. That short wire. Pretty weird :???: i just put two and two together, the terminal broke, so i mcgiverd it. it was the only other thing that went wrong the same day it gave me the problem.

Snap a couple of pics of the engine. Preferably of any tags or stamps on the block. I'm sure someone here would know.
In my opinion I would bet its the stock motor even if its been replaced. Someone most likely just did a direct swap. I can't think of a reason to put in the time and money into a different 4cl. Usually people go up to the 4.0. Just my 2¢.

Snap a couple of pics of the engine. Preferably of any tags or stamps on the block. I'm sure someone here would know.
In my opinion I would bet its the stock motor even if its been replaced. Someone most likely just did a direct swap. I can't think of a reason to put in the time and money into a different 4cl. Usually people go up to the 4.0. Just my 2¢.

actually, yesterday i just found out that it IS a stock motor. and youre right, they just did a direct swap. I came out of the sand yesterday and it died on me again. I couldnt get it started. It was getting fuel and air, but no spark so i changed cap, rotor, and coil. Then still it didnt start. I towed it home last night. Now this morning it cranked right up??? I have no idea whats going on. This car is confusing me. Any idea what wouldve caused what happned yesterday?? The engine did get a little hot, but not really bad...Im lost..

check the wire going from the distributor to the battery (I think). we had a similar problem with our jeep and it ended up being a loose connection on a wire going to the distributor. could be something to look at

check the wire going from the distributor to the battery (I think). we had a similar problem with our jeep and it ended up being a loose connection on a wire going to the distributor. could be something to look at

okay, as soon as its light tomorrow i will definitely check it out.
thanks so much

Back