The U.S. Government Is Shut Down

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I think the guys at Digg summed it up well:

After months, weeks and then a frantic day of brinksmanship on Capitol Hill, Congress failed to pass a bill to fund the government Monday night, shutting it down for the first time in 17 years.

So, is anyone here directly effected by this (i.e. furloughed)?

n_hayes_cuts_130930-e1380596976768.jpg

Last edited:

Ok, if they're shut down does that mean they're not able to waste our tax dollars or is that on auto pilot?

Congress continues to get paid, even during the shutdown.

But at least 535 civil servants in Washington don't have to worry about missed mortgage payments or mounting credit card debt due to a shutdown: the very members of Congress who threaten to grind government to a halt.

The salaries of Congress members, like the president, come from a pool of mandatory funds and aren't subject to the whims of lawmakers. If a shutdown happens, their checks keep coming, no matter what.

As a report issued this week by the Congressional Research Service puts it, "Due to their constitutional responsibilities and a permanent appropriation for congressional pay, Members of Congress are not subject to furlough."

In Government Shutdown, Congress Members Still Get Paid While Federal Workers Wait In Limbo

Was making cheddar biscuits last night and the wife aske me to give her a 1/2 cup of ceddar cheese. As I poured it out she asked is it a 1/2 cup...I replied close enough for government use. She smiled, with the government shut down....is it?

The great news is since the government has shut down, there won't be any taxes taken from my check! Right....?

The great news is since the government has shut down, there won't be any taxes taken from my check! Right....?

You would not want that . Imagine if your in arrears with payroll deduction and counting on the paymaster to take out the correct amount from each present check and correctly pro rate the arrears ? Like the man said , you can pay now , or pay dearly later.

Obviously, sarcasm is not a font available on this forum.

Ok , I know your post was meant to be a joke . Sorry I killed it . Got a little too serious worrying about the reality our government can do to damage our lives and well being. They've done a great job so far. But we're safe , right ?

I'm directly affected. I work for a company named Military Produce Group. The branch I work for, MidSouth Produce, ships to 23 military bases in the South East. So.... after Monday night's fiasco, we are shut down until further notice. Since the stores on the bases are shut down, we have no one to ship our product to.

This is the fear I have and the reality I spoke of. I realize that balancing a budget is not like our check books , but our lives are affected and some are more directly affected than others. I pray the budget is found and laws passed soon for the benefit of our nation and a speedy recovery to aid the damage of those directly affected by this current political disaster.

I'm directly affected. I work for a company named Military Produce Group. The branch I work for, MidSouth Produce, ships to 23 military bases in the South East. So.... after Monday night's fiasco, we are shut down until further notice. Since the stores on the bases are shut down, we have no one to ship our product to.
Hate to hear that, hope they get it strait soon so you can get back to work. They like to argue on capitol hill, I wouldn't think they'd let up on that for too long.

Being a guardsman Blackhawk pilot, this shutdown has got us down. Our drill has been cancelled and the time I have scheduled to fly has been cancelled till it is resolved. I can live without it but the extra cash that I get from it helps fund my jeep project or pay bills off a little early. ThNk God I have a steady job outside the Guard.

I feel for anyone who is financially affected and hearing it from military personnel , this is disasterous from a security point of view. This helpers to make us appear weaker and I puts fear into civilian population , increasing the the terror factor. Puts fear into our nations future , but we know the capital can never let that happen . Not in this day and age.

God help those guys if the this affects them. Wasn't right during the Vietnam war and its not right now . Dosen't send the right message of why we should be behind our government in a fight and be expected to be committed to honor and sacrifice . I guess we had to expect a recession after such large expenditure to support two wars but congress will never give the fighting man his due . It's just shameful . Just dosen't seem to change.

Back