Heater duct door switching problem

bradleyheathhays

Have an '02 Taurus w/ 103k miles and about 6 months ago all the air, heat or a/c, started blowing only out of the defrost vents at the bottom of the windshield. All the settings work correctly except air has stopped blowing from the floor and dash vents entirely. I know the fix on this is probably easy, just getting to it is gonna be hard. I've had the dash off my '11 Crown Vic to replace the leaking heater core so I've got a little experience doing this sort of thing.

Can any describe to me what switching door in the vent system has gone bad and how I might approach fixing it?

Thanks

On jeeps the selection is vacuum driven. Check if yours is electric or vac. If there is a vac leak this will result in defrost only. That and your idle will be high, like 1K rpm or higher and not 750 rpm.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Thanks JPN. Found a video on youtube that describes the problem and fix fairly well. More than likely it's a vac line at the firewall.

I checked all the vac lines on the firewall from the vac source on the driver's side to where it goes into the cabin on the pass side and everything seemed ok. So I get inside and take the glove compartment out and go poking around to see if I can find a loose vac line. Well lo and behold, I did, and lucky enough nothing's broken. I found a loose junction of vac lines that resembles a wiring harness connection. Best guess is it got knocked loose when my aftermarket radio got installed last year. Couldn't find my radio removal tools (on order for next week) so I wasn't able to get as good a view as I wanted, but after a lot of squeezing under the dash to look I never found these lines connection point. I know this is a Jeep forum but could anyone possibly tell me exactly where these lines plug into?...

WJr55Xl.jpg

The back of the selector knob usually.

IMG_3191.JPG

Regards,
JPNinPA

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up. -Jesse Jackson

The block in the photo plugs into the back of the heater control, the thing with the fan switch and slide levers to control heat and function. The other ends probably plug into various dampers and doors.

Back