Rust Protection

judge09

Well I am getting married come June and my fiances current car comes off lease just about then (convienent huh). Considering we are going to be up north (CNY) for a couple more years I want her in a 4WD. So being the angel that she is she told me she would be happy to drive my Grand Cherokee Limited. Good and Bad...the Bad is I will kinda be losing my Jeep. The good part is I get to buy another Jeep :mrgreen: I miss my old TJ but I really want to get a CJ. So I want a CJ....I know some of you Northerners must drive your CJs in the winter. What do you people do for rust protection.Rust is a nasty problem in Syracuse. We are actually called the Saly City.

free parts

I think that POR 15 is the standard anti-rust stuff, but I'd also think that and good coat of paint would go a long way.

of you getta 76+ cj you may also want to coat the inside of the frame b/c salt will accumalate inside, and rust from inside out

Hello again Judge09,

I hope the Jeep club info that I PMed to you proved useful.

As regards having a CJ in central New York: Rust free CJs in this area are kind of like the Sasquatch. Everybody has heard of them, but there is no documented scientific proof that Sasquatch or rust-free CJs actually exist.

My $00.02 worth -- get a southern or southwestern CJ, bring it here and within 15 minutes of arrival have the CJ Ziebarted until the leaf springs sag under the weight.

But no matter your weapon of choice -- Ziebart, POR-15, Corroless, Love Potion Number 9, or plain old Rustoleum -- you will eventually lose the rust war. At best, you fight a delaying action.

You could always follow my example. Get a CJ, spend a few thousand dollars and countless hours restoring it. Then protect the CJ from winter road salt by leasing a $30k Grand Cherokee to use as a "winter rat."

Hey!...It is CJ love -- no expense is too great and it isn't supposed to make sense.

Regards,

Gadget

We don't have too much trouble with rust in southern NM , but I have used POR 15 and rustoleum's rust primer. The rustoleum has already started rusting and the POR 15 is still as hard as a rock.

I know it's costly, but so far the POR 15 has worked well for me.

PS Groovy Halloween suff...

Gadget,
Believe me I have definitely thought about going the route you were talking about. I was just thinking about a way to protect a CJ if I wanted to use it all winter. I guess noone runs theirs in the winter. probably for a good reason.

YJ hardtop on a CJ

Hello again Judge09,

It is difficult to find a low-rust CJ that has lived for any length of time in this area. You are familiar with how heavily CNY roads are salted and our snowy/rainy weather – a lethal combination. I suppose the rust problem is why we seldom see any brand of older and un-restored vehicles on our roads. They all dissolve, eventually.

New York is also a state that is uptight about frame repair. That is really why I mentioned it being advantageous to start with a good southern or southwestern CJ. Given enough time and money, almost any Jeep can be fixed to the point of being driveable, but getting a heavily frame-repaired Jeep through the annual vehicle safety inspection (assuming you don’t “know” somebody) could be a trying experience – a potential show-stopper.

If you acquire a good CJ and keep on top of the rust problem using any of the products mentioned above, your CJ should be OK for the couple of years which you expect to continue living here.

My son has more local Jeep-people contacts than I, and from time to time he will mention that someone he knows is selling a Jeep. If he comes up with good CJ, I will PM the contact info to you.

I am sure that Darrin at ECOR (mentioned in my PM to you about CNY offroaders) would have more knowledge than I possess about dealing with CNY vehicle rust problems, and NY permissible frame repairs. He might also know of a good CJ for you.

You might consider sending him a PM or giving him a phone call.

Regards,

Gadget

PS: Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

my cj7 spent the first 18 years of its life in arizona....so i lucked out and have basically zero rust.
i want to por-15 the undercarraige and inside the tub....is there anything i should not por 15 underneath? do i need to be careful around anywhere in particular down there?

Back