Emergency Brake wiring issue. ...i think

pizaba

Hey guys,

I just started having this problem. It started about 4 days ago and has steadily gotten worse. At first, when I was driving around, every once in awhile my jeep would buzz me and I would see my e brake dashboard light flicker on and off. This only happened when I would pull a quick turn. So at first I was thinking my e brake might be loose and it's wobbling around down there and would get a good enough wobble to trip the e brake light. So I did what I thought might be a good test; while crawling at snails pace, I pulled the e brake to see if it would do anything. Jeep came to a imitate stop. I've also checked by taping my normal brakes to see if i could hear any clanking. Nothing. So now I think it may be an electrical problem, maybe a wire is loose and is taping the connection for the e brake... or something.

But now the problem has gotten worse over time. I am now constantly getting the buzzer for my e brakes being engaged, although they are not. The only time I do not have to endure this situation which will bring any sane man to his knees is when I'm accelerating. But even then, if I'm not accelerating fast enough, i still get the light on and the buzzer.

Anyone have this problem? Anyone have anything I can check and make sure X is correct. I was considering pulling the wire out of the buzzer to save some mental stability... but knowing me, I would just forget the problem. Any help and or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated.

I was just thinking it also might be a sensor, but I'm no Jeep God like Terry, where can i find the sensor to replace/check?

Yoru E-Brake has a switch under it that sets off the buzzer when you are in gear. Check the wiring to it and be sure it isn't lose broken or shorted.

It's likely that the wiring before the switch is shorting to ground or the switch itself is getting continuity from the ground even when the e-brake is not engaged. Trace the wiring per schematic diagram i've attached. I would check under the center console first for a pinched wire.

812390a1-1.gif

Can someone point me in the direction of the parts breakdown. I'm assuming this switch is under the center console, but before i start gutting that out, I'd like to see the break down.

80b41817-1.gif

After removing the center console, the switch is located just under the hand brake lever with one wire. The trick on removing the console is to fully engage the e-brake lever while lifting the center console from the rear and back.

Any time. Let us know what you find including the loose change thats laying around there. lol.

Back