1997 Jeep Replaced PCM & Engine shuts down after 2 secs

incairns1

I recently parked my 1997 ZG Jeep Laredo 4 lt Petrol. only to find it just never to start again, It would crank over but just not start. After several tests by my mechanic neighbour. He was 100% sure I had a faulty PCM. I purchased a second hand pcm with same numbers out of a running vehicle. Now it starts perfectly for 2 seconds then shut down.?? (with the old pcm it would not start at all)

During this whole process I had to get a new battery also.
The key fob (black key) works fine, but I think it may be the engine immobiliser ?. shutting the engine down. I have also disconnected the battery to drain any charge and hopefully reset the pcm and/or enable the immobiliser. This did nothing.

I have no flashing red light on dash (never have had)

I had an Auto electrician out with his scanner and he could not work out the problem and left saying "he would have to do a little research" (that was 4 weeks ago.He's not coming back!!)

Can somebody please help me with this issue in getting my only transport up and running again.

You will have to take it to the dealer and have the key programmed to the new pcm...

Usually on a chrysler ,dodge jeep product when it starts and runs for 1 or 2 seconds its a programming issue, either key to pcm or pcm to vehicle... With all the programming issues with vehicles these days i wouldn't throw any more parts at it until you have it checked...could be 100.00 bucks well spent???

Usually on a chrysler ,dodge jeep product when it starts and runs for 1 or 2 seconds its a programming issue, either key to pcm or pcm to vehicle... With all the programming issues with vehicles these days i wouldn't throw any more parts at it until you have it checked...could be 100.00 bucks well spent???

Cheers! I appreciate that advice and will take it

Back