Converting a 6v to 12v system?

snoopeme

I have a 1956 CJ-6 Willis Jeep and find it's 6 volt battery inconvenient at times. I recently had the starter rebuilt and yet it still turns over pretty slowly and leaves me wondering if it's going to start. Would a 12v system help with its cranking power and startability? I have heard that it is possible to convert it from a 6 volt to a 12 volt system and was wondering what all is involved in that? Is it a major job with replacing all wiring and electrical equipment, or is it not that big of a deal? Any information you can provide will be helpful! Snoop

Attachments

• DSC00099.jpg
    DSC00099.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 25

Hi Snoop,
I would ask myself how often I drive my CJ6 before converting to 12 Volts. Is it hard no, especially since you likely do not have a lot of accessories and the harness is easy to access. But it will be time consuming and cost is a consideration as well.
In order to correctly and safely do this conversion, you will need to replace more than just the existing wiring harness. Considering everything that currently uses electricity will need to be replaced, it will get costly. Not only will major things like the alternator, starter, ignition system and battery need upgrading, but all the lights and gauges as well. If done correctly this will add ease of service and potentially increased value, but does this project fit into your plans for the Jeep? Judging by the photo, you have an excellent project!
The good news is if you plan to follow through, there is no shortage of parts and they will be easy to find. As for the harness, the most common supplier is “Painless”. I have dealt with the folks at www.Joetlc.com and was very satisfied with the results. Either company can help customize your hardness and tailor it to your needs.

Best of Luck!

Back