Thread: engine upgrade

1. engine upgrade

If I want to do an engine swap on a 1990 wrangler, what would make a good engine swap. This jeep has an automatic trany. Would like to know if their is a better engine than the tired six that's in it now. Preferably something that would bolt right to trany. Any info on engine swaps would be helpful. Thank you.

Re: engine upgrade

A reman 258 would be the easiest. Another option would be to have an experienced engine builder build you a 4.6L stroker using a 4.0L block and 258 internals.

Consider using an engine/transmission/transfer case from a donor vehicle to save huge on adapters. Good options are the GM 5.3L and 6.0L drivetrains, as well as the lighter 4.3L vortec.

Thank you for that great info, greatly appreciated.

The 5.0 swap was very easy on the wrangler i had. Almost bolted in, if the motor mounts were not welded on.
    no more jeeps at this time. next time it will be a cj with a v8

I had a tired 4 liter also and decided to go with a 350. The only thing I had to really do was the engine mounts and an adapter to the trainy. I would swap out the automatic for a standard, you would have more control over what your jeep will do. If you do that you can get a direct bolt trany transfer from a chevy that would be a good upgrade. Going with a v 8 will give you more than 1 1/2 times more horse power and tourque with just a plane 350, for a little more you can get a beast of an engine that won't quit. Mine has gone over 250 degrees several times and is still as good as new. Of course I use the top oil, AMSOIL ZROD. If you go that way you will have to make sure your water pump is high volume and have at least a three core radiator.