No Start on 1991 Cherokee

VMAC92

Greetings! New to the forum....looking for some technical input. I had/have a no start condition on this vehicle, 4.0 inline 6 with an automatic transmission. There was an oil leak at the oil pressure switch that caused the starter to get oil in it, and the starter to go bad, switch was replaced as was the starter. (Starter was tested prior to leaving AutoZone) All wiring asscociated with the starter is good as is the battery. It started fine, multiple times, even allowed it to heat up to make sure there were no issues there. Next morning, went to start it and nothing, which is what the original issue was to begin with. After replacing the starter, I drove the vehicle on a 8 mile round trip, and restarted it when I got home.....started fine. The starter relay has been replaced already as well. Any direction on this problem will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, V.

UPDATE!!! After many hours looking up at the engine, replacing the starter twice, checking the wiring multiple times, head under the dash, and more explicatives than I could count, the bane of my existance was a 40 amp maxi fuse! This fuse, one would think would not be the culprit, being that it it is the ABS pump fuse.Took the fuse from the rear window defroster, put it in place and it fired right up! And yes....all the fuses under the hood were checked with a test light before replacing the first starter. The one in question tested good the first time....this time it was hot on just on side. Evidently it had just enough of a connection to check good with the test light....but not enough to allow it start. According to the Haynes manual, the fuse in question is in-line with the starter relay. Thanks for the insight on what to check on this Jeep, and with any luck, the experience that I have related here, will help others. Thanks again!

Back