1964 CJ5A Stuck in gear

uncyboy

Hi all, I've been searching, and haven't found any posts with the same problem I've got. It's a 1964 CJ5A Tux Park, all stock, even has the column shifter. I was driving it in 1st gear and it just started slowing down. No grinding, or any other noises, just started to die. I hit the clutch and the engine recovered. Tried going through the gears, and it seemed to shift normally with the clutch in ("normal" for the worn "3 on the tree"). But every time I let the clutch out, it tries to die (even in neutral). I was in 4L when it happened, tried 4H and 2H, but got the same results. If I shift the trans to neutral, I CAN'T push or pull it. But, if I shift the transfer case to neutral, I can push her around by hand. Can't figure out if it's in the oddball shift linkage, internal in the trans, or in the transfer case? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
After thought: this engine DEPENDS on a vacuum leak to run. There's an open barb where the original vacuum wiper motor line would run in under the carb. If I plug it with my finger, the engine dies right away. I've never heard of an engine that died when you REMOVED a vacuum leak...?????

Last edited:

Congrats on owning a tux! From what you discribe it sounds like your transmissions stuck in gear. My 69 does all the time and I can't seem to stop it from happening. When it happens, it does exactly what you discribe. My trans is side shifted like a car trans, so I have these tabs on the side of the trany that the linkage attaches to, in neutral those tabs should be straight up and down, when it gets stuck in gear all I have to do is look at those tabs and if one is at an angle I just use pliers and pull it straight up and down again which takes it out of gear and into neutral. Your trans is probably a top loader and you would have to take the cover off and slide the gear back. REREAD your post! It is probably in the linkage just as mine, our linkage is sloppy from all the years of service. Short of replacing the linkage I can't seem to stop it from happening randomly, I even carry a dedicated pair of pliers with me for when it happens. Takes me about 2mins to fix. your trans is stuck in gear but the linkage is what's probably causing it. I don't know enough about those old carbs to help you with the vac leak problem.

Last edited:
I own a 1964 CJ5A Tuxedo Park, all stock, all original parts, with a 3 on the tree column shifter. today while driving it as I was approaching a stop light and downshifting I suddenly could not shift out of 1st gear...after wiggling a bit I was able to get it to go into 3rd gear but only 1st and 3rd no neutral 2nd or reverse. any suggestions on a self fix or do I need to take it to a classic car mechanic?

Oh man, we're going back 5 years. I remember shifting it to neutral and having 4 friends rock it back and forth. I believe it finally "popped" free. Mine probably hasn't seen the light of day since then. It needs a total restoration and the brakes weren't good enough to even drive around country roads. She's aging gracefully in the back of a garage now. Sorry I can't be of more help, and good luck!

Back