Rebuilt steering shaft on CJ7, now it won't start

Dontut

I spent the last two weekends rebuilding my 84 CJ7 Manual trans steering column and replacing the signal switch. Got it all back together, and now it turns over and catches, but as soon as I release the key the engine dies. I've checked the connector on top of the column, checked the fuses, and she's getting gas in the carb, but no luck. Any ideas, or troubleshooting steps for what I might be missing? Thanks!

I could be wrong....but. It's my understanding power from the "start" and "run" positions are separate? What i would do to zero in on the issue is run a hot wire from batt to the ignition. that will be the coil, or on the distributor depending on if it's *hei. If it runs hotwired then you know the problem is a bad keyswitch or in the wiring harness on the column. I had a similar problem and installed an aftermarket cheap key switch in my dash. to run the motor and turn the column switch on for turn signals, reverse lights and gauges. Pretty simple fix.
*I upgraded my 80 to HEI and regaped the plugs could notice the difference! Good luck...

It turns out that when I plugged the molex connectors in on the top of the column, one pin was bent outside of the connector. It took me forever on my back under the dash to figure it out, but I'm up and running with much tighter steering now!

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Back