1988 cherokee power steering pump

Jewel

Hello,

I have two questions . . .

I have a 1988 cherokee auto 4x4 6 cyl 4.0 and I need to replace my power steering pump as it is leaking all over and has been for years. What do I do first in removing it.

I also put my key in my driverside door to open it as it was locked. Now my key is stuck in it and with all the time I've spent trying to get it out . . . it won't release.

Peace, Jewel

On the cherokee power steering pump, You need to loosen the belt that runs it and take it off. Then unhook the hoses. Next take out all the bolts that hold it in place and it should pull right out of there.
About the key, Are you located in the frozen north? If you are, Try blowing some hot air on the area with a hair dryer. If thats not the problem, Spray some penetrating oil in around the key and wiggle it a little from time to time. Maybe the tumblers are stuck.

Thank you for replying . . . could you tell where I loosen the belt ? And yes, I live in the Frozen North the tumblers were worn when I stuck the key in nevertheless, I will try your sugestion.

Peace, Jewel

Last edited:
I don't know what the belt on your motor looks like, but if you don't have a tensioner on a spring, one of the idler pulleys should be able to be loosened and be able to be adjusted to get the belt off.

The tensioner is part of the power steering assembly. You should see by the pully a nut that is super long it is a 15 and then there should be another pully just below and slightly to the left I think it's a 15 as well but don't quote me loosen that bolt and then start loosening the really long one I told you about before and the pully should start moving out of the way for you.

You know the ps pump is like 200 - 250 new eh. You should try your local jy or if it's just the bottle and the pump still works pm me a pic of the pump I may have a spare for you.

You know the pump is like a couple hundred bucks eh. Check your local jy for one take a picture of your pump because you can replace just the plastic bottle. You're sure it's not just a line?

cherokeechick said:
You know the ps pump is like 200 - 250 new eh. You should try your local jy or if it's just the bottle and the pump still works pm me a pic of the pump I may have a spare for you.

Dang! You got ripped off! I replaced the ps pump in my grand last winter I paid like $60 after the core refund...unless you upgraded to a aftermarket setup, I don't think you should have to pay more than a $100.

I haven't had to replace mine yet. It's a 99 but I have a spare lol from the jy. But a dude who got in on tearing appart an xj on free parts day was telling me they are worth like 200. everything in Canada is more expensive but if you have any Cherokee questions feel free to pm me I don't know everything but I know a lot. Are you on CF? Feel free to pm me!

No, not to my knowledge. Its a '95 I bought 2 years ago, I've been tinkering with it ever since. Its been quite the learning experiance...but a lot of fun. Btw what is CF?

Well, thank all of you for your post. I will continue to try to get the key out, I do have the door unlocked with the key still in the key hole lol . . . I managed to get the pump out this morning . . . the price for the whole thing is only 63.91 dollars (with core). I live on the border of Canada (in the States though). And yes, its cold, but I love winter and so does my Jeep. I have had it for 20 years now and do most of the work myself. Thank you Jeepz.com as you all have assisted me in my repairs.

Peace, Jewel

eric m said:
No, not to my knowledge. Its a '95 I bought 2 years ago, I've been tinkering with it ever since. Its been quite the learning experiance...but a lot of fun. Btw what is CF?

Oh I thought you had an 88' xj.. CF = Cherokee forum !!!

Jewel said:
Well, thank all of you for your post. I will continue to try to get the key out, I do have the door unlocked with the key still in the key hole lol . . . I managed to get the pump out this morning . . . the price for the whole thing is only 63.91 dollars (with core). I live on the border of Canada (in the States though). And yes, its cold, but I love winter and so does my Jeep. I have had it for 20 years now and do most of the work myself. Thank you Jeepz.com as you all have assisted me in my repairs.

Peace, Jewel

Bad ass!!! Check out Cherokee forum it's mostly Cherokee stuff and some grand Cherokee but not much, more just about the stuff you can use off the zjs and wjs ect.. A lot of knowledgeable friendly jeepers!

Back