Engine troubles

cnabowboy

So I found a 2004 jeep grand cherokee with a 4.0 engine. The engine has 175000 miles on it. The body is solid tires good, aND the price is only 250.00 bucks. Now the issue the front half has no compression but the back half does. I've been wondering what could cause the issue? I've read alot of people saying it's a ring or valve job. He said I can drive it home but engine will rattle bad but for a jeep for 250.00 I can't go wrong even if it needs a a new engine. Side note it will also need a door wiring harness

I don't know about the engine problem, but it would be hard to really loose out for $250.

You might part it out and get a couple hundred for just the axles.

I agree 250$ and it drives .

Let us know your skill level not exactly a novices repair troubleshooting job - and tools wll e needed

Last edited:
I have the basic tools needed for an engine swap I still need a engine hoist to do an engine swap or if I deside to rebuild the engine the I would need an engine stand, gear puller and piston ring compressor. I've been looking at used engines but but 700 - 1000 for a used engine I think is to much. I did find some engine rebuild kits but do not know about one. Does anyone know about engine tec kits I've read mixed reveiws

Oh yea the engine in it now has like 174000 miles on it, and the back part of the engine has compression the front is bad with no compression I'd like to get it back on the road first

that's too much for an engine. is that junkyard or craigslist? put an ad on craigslist that you need a 4.0 and see what people offer you. sometimes you can get unbelievably great deals doing that

I would troubleshoot BEFORE spending - I am a hopeless optimist -

Step 1 - compression gauge, Shop air would be nice, and removing valve cover...

Yea I'm going to redue a compression test and lear down test then pull the valve cover. I'm hoping it's just a head issue

that's true. look into whats going on before buying anything. could just be bent push rods or they popped out of the rocker arm seats

Back