Lift your TJ - installing a Rubicon Express 2" coil spacer kit

Awsome post, helped me out a lot. Quick question, if im replacing my suspension with the Rubicon Express which comes with shocks and spacers, do i need to replace my springs as well?

Awsome post, helped me out a lot. Quick question, if im replacing my suspension with the Rubicon Express which comes with shocks and spacers, do i need to replace my springs as well?

The coil spacer is a rubber puck that sits on top of your existing springs, so no, you don't need to replace your springs with this type of lift.

I bought a 1998 TJ to use as a hunting rig. The guy I bought it from gave me a set of 2 inch coil spacers without any instructions. Your posting was very helpful. The only problem I saw was that you didn't remove the front spring isolator before installing the spacer. I followed your instructions and figured out that something was wrong when we noticed that the coil springs didn't look vertical, they were leaning slightly. I took a block of wood and hit the spring and it would move around. The coil spring isolator is slightly larger in diameter and it seats tighter into the spring. So we took both sides back apart, removed the spacer and isolators, reinstalled the spacer followed by the isolators and now it looks correct. I didn't do anything with the sway bar links but I think I will get a set of adjustable quick connecting ones similar to the ones you used on the front. Thanks for the info and I hope you don't think I'm ungrateful, but you may need to swap your parts so that your springs stay in the correct place.

Regards,
Ed​

Awesome thread. So hows the lift kit holding so far? I was wondering what other brand of kit would you suggest.

Last edited by a moderator:

We recently bought a 2004 Wrangler X and my husband installed 2" spacers and now to me it drives funny. Words that come to mind to discribe it would be slidy, sensitive, a bit wobbl. He didn't put any new shocks, Springs, or those stopper things. He also didn't get an alignment done. Any suggestions? P.S. he's an amateur and learned how to do it on YouTube ;-)

Lift your TJ - installing a Rubicon Express 2" coil spacer kit

I would start with a dry steer test.You will need two people for this. One turns the steering wheel from stop to stop while the other inspects all the steering and front end components for wear and movement.

Then balancing the tires and an alignment.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
Then balancing the tires and an alignment.

If you end up doing an alignment, I'd again throw out a plug for Firestone's lifetime alignment. You'll pay more than a standard alignment, but you can bring it back as often as you need. I get my Jeep inspected and aligned there every year, and my alignment is always out. It was definitely good money spent on my part.

Back