Starting up Jeep problem

aksrafaela

I'm really nee to the Jeep community. I bought a Jeep Wrangler sport 2008 as is and I am having trouble starting it up. I thought it was my new battery but I got an alternator check and battery check and they were good. So I decided to pump the accelerator a few times while I turn the egnition over and that helps it start up, other wise it just clicks. I have disconnected my radio, amp and winch. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

You shouldn't have to pump the accelerator on start-up of a fuel injected engine, the computer does it for you. I'd have the Jeep scanned for trouble codes at the local parts store to check the sensors.

Thank you. Yea I figured out that I didn't have to after I made the post. So I'm thinking it's an electrical issue because when I turn the ignition it clicks and clicks and the lights go crazy but doesn't turn over. And sometimes it turns on like as if nothing is wrong. I guess I'll just have to take it to a mechanic. I just didn't want someone to change something unnecessary as they usually do.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Check your positive and ground connections at the battery. The posts and terminals should be shiny. Check the opposite ends of the cables and their contact points. They too should be clean and shiny.
How did they check your battery? Voltage or load testing? Maybe try another place.
The other possibility is the starter may be going bad. You could try tapping it with a hammer. Is it just one click (the ign) when you turn the key or is it a burst of clicks?
Have you tried jumping the battery to start?

This might be copied into the tech area.
Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
Back