'00 GC Alarm question

graewulf

Its been a while, but I'm still lurking.. :)

I just bought an '00 Grand Cherokee. It has the dreaded factory alarm system. I know with my '95 I can disarm the alarm by unlocking the drivers door with the key (the fob is MIA). For some reason, this does not disarm the alarm on the '00 and it goes off when I open the door after unlocking it. I have to put the key in the ignition & turn the ignition on to turn the blasted thing off. Does anyone have any insight on this?

The VTSS(vehicle theft security system) on the 95 is similar on the disarm feature on the 00 models..If the VTSS does not disarm on the driver door key tumbler, then the switch on the latch assembly is not working properly.. Remove the door panel and inspect the wires and connections..

I took the door apart yesterday and found the switch. Unfortunately, I can't get it to work so it looks as if I will need to replace it. $38 at the stealership for the switch. That's not too bad. Part of me wonders if I can prevent it from arming by simply shorting the pins on the switch with a jumper.

It would have to be an intermmitent switch to facilitate the disarm, otherwise a straight jumper will keep the BCM awake at all times and will kill your battery overnight.

Can't blame me for trying.. Oh well.. I'll get the switch when I have the stealership make me 2 new keys.. I hate transponder keys!

Back