02 Liberty brake/bearing help.

rickschade

I was out on a drive with my wife last night and about 40 miles into it the front right side of my jeep started vibrating pretty bad, the noise was a loud thump thump with every tire rotation. When accelerating and braking the problem would not be as intense. I know I need to replace the front discs pads. Will this solve the problem. I am very thankful for help and advice.

Sounds like it may be a tire separating unless your rotors are wore right through.

I inspected the tire and parts for visible wear and tear. They seem ok. I am going to change the front brake shoes and that may fix the problem. Thank for your comment. I do appreciate all help because I am far from being a certified mechanic. Peace.

Keep us informed :). Also make sure the wheels are properly torqued to about 100 ft lbs. Over or un even torque will warp the from rotors. And possibly stretch the wheel studs.

Well, I dropped both wheels off the jeep and found that on the front left, one of the studs broke off and 3 of the other 4 were very loose. I torqued them down. And now tho my speedo quit working and my engine light is on. WTF.

Keep us informed :). Also make sure the wheels are properly torqued to about 100 ft lbs. Over or un even torque will warp the from rotors. And possibly stretch the wheel studs.
Looks like that is exactly what happened.

Last edited:
Well With The Check Engine Light ON. - - You will need To dump the Codes from your Computer. (OBDll). On Some Model JEEPS you can. CYCLE your Ignition Key in a Sequence to get CODES - - EX. -- Cycle. IGN. Key. Like this- - 1. ON\OFF 2. ON\OFF 3. ON\OFF On the 4th ON Cycle your Odometer will say: DONE or the Codes will appear. You may also. Go to: Auto Zone and they will dump the CODES for you. You can proceed from there... You will Need The Codes To Troubleshoot Problem. Good. Luck!

i had the same thing happen recently. I had new tires put on and after a little bit noticed a clunking sound that would start soft at low speeds and then get louder and the only way it would stop is if i stopped. I was going to replace the u-joints when i felt a wobble to my jeep and then found out my left rear wheel had lost a lug nut and the other 4 were about 1 to 2 turns from falling off as well.

Back