02 liberty heat doesn't work well

rickschade

hey all. earlier this year my wife hit a deer, didn't do any damage except broke the radiator. took it to a local radiator shop. they replaced the broken with new. they didn't put in a new thermostat. this past week i had a new thermostat installed at a different shop. meanwhile between thermostats the heater setting didn't work when it was below 40 degrees. the temp gauge was steady(don't know what the temp is, maybe 200 degree's). why won't the heat work? your help and expertize is appreciated.

First, check for a leaking or possibly disconnected vacuum line under the hood. The HVAC actuators on a 2002 KJ is vacuum controlled . Another verification is to sit inside the vehicle with the engine at idle, cycle HVAC controls to all the modes and listen for the mode doors open and close to their respective positions. Pay attention particularly on the hot and cold mode switch as you cycle it from cold to hot. Sitting at below 40* will take a while to get the engine at its normal operating temperature. I would think that with that part of the region, you would utilize an engine block heater. Also, make sure the coolant/ antifreeze concentration is at the 50/50 mix.

First, check for a leaking or possibly disconnected vacuum line under the hood. The HVAC actuators on a 2002 KJ is vacuum controlled . Another verification is to sit inside the vehicle with the engine at idle, cycle HVAC controls to all the modes and listen for the mode doors open and close to their respective positions. Pay attention particularly on the hot and cold mode switch as you cycle it from cold to hot. Sitting at below 40* will take a while to get the engine at its normal operating temperature. I would think that with that part of the region, you would utilize an engine block heater. Also, make sure the coolant/ antifreeze concentration is at the 50/50 mix.

i appreciate your advice. i will perform these this evening after work. also, i meant the outside temp as under 40 degree's. lol. i hope my mech took the right steps to ensure the thermostat and mix is correct. i will get back on this with you when i check it out. thanks again.

Back