04 grand cherokee rear axle bearings and seal

killerb7854

Hey guys, I told a friend that I would help him with his 04 Grand Cherokee. When he took it in for safety inspection they said that the rear axle seals were leaking. They wanted to charge him over $900 to do the seals, new bearings and brake pads! :shock:

I figured that we could knock out this job in a weekend for a fraction of the cost but after consulting the haynes manual it looks like these axle shaft bearings/seals are not serviceable by the average back yard mechanic. The book says if the bearings/seals need replacement take them to an automotive machine shop.

I didn't see what kind of axle his jeep had but it does have rear disc brakes. Anyone have any ideas besides bringing it back to the shop? :roll:

You can do the job yourself but you will need a shop with a large press to remove the bearing sleeve and the bearing to replace the seal. At this point, you will have to make a descision if you need a new bearing or not. I wouldn't re-use the sleeve.

Bearings are cheap enough, I'm sure we would replace them. How big of a press is needed? Could it be done in a big bench vice? I wish I could find more info /(pics) on these before taking them apart.

I've never used a bench vise to do this but if you do, you might end up scouring the shaft, not good. The shop press i use stands around 6 feet tall and is adjustable. Your local shops there should have something comparable and shouldn't charge you very much.

Ah I C. I've actually got a buddy that works at a shop close by. Suppose I'll have to give him a call. Is it just the bearing sleeve that needs to be pressed in/out? Thanks for all the help so far.

some local auto part stores like napa should be able to help you since you'll be buying parts

Back