1960 cj5 steering column

dwayne gonzales

Im restoring an old 1960 cj5. I got the wild hair to try and either switch out the old steeing column for a tilt one or shortening the one in my jeep. Another possibility was changing the angle so the steering wheel is closer to the windshield, but it would put the angle of the little ujoint at to much of a bind. Does anybody have any ideas or has anybody tried this?

I have a 69 and have a xj tilt column in mine. You would need to get the ujoint that gos to the box. or cut your old one off and take to a GOOD welding shop and have them weld the cj joint onto the xj shaft, or get a rag joint. When the guy gave mine back he said it would be as strong or stronger than the original. Old chevy truck columns work also.

Thank u for your help 69jeepcj!! how did u mount your new column to your jeep? Like attaching to the dash and did u build a plate to attach to the floor? And what about the angles of the new column and the shaft to the steering box? Sorry bout all the questions but im very excited now!!! hahaha:D Is there anyway u could send me pics on what u did? Would love to see how it looks. Thanks again

Yes, I will try to post pic of it. It is raining pretty steady today and the jeep is outside right now (car broke down taking up the garage), its usually in the garage. Yes I made a plate for the floor. I used a hole saw to drill a hole for the column to fit through and bolted it to the floor, and made a L shaped tab and bolted it to the plate and welded it to the column for support. Under the dash I used wrangler tailgate hinges and hung and bolted them to the dash vertically(I did have to cut about an inch or so off the hinges for lenght reasons). It bolted right up to the column bolt holes. Im not thrilled with the wrangler hinges (you cant see them but I know they are there) but it worked out great for what I needed it to do. I can sit in my seat and pull and push on the steering wheel and there is no movement. Oh, the new column will have the ignition in the column, I filled the hole with JB-weld, sand and painted it. Same with the turn signal hole, Overal Im happy with it. Like I said, I will try to post up some pics asap. If you are wanting a restored show quitlity look, you probably want to mount it a little nicer than I did.

Thank u. That info helps alot. I found a column out of a 74 chevy that I think will work. I appreciate your help. Can't wait to see pis of ur jeep. Thanks again for your help

Sorry I totally forgot about your pics. I was in a hurry this morning, I couldnt get my laptop under my dash to get a pic of how the column is attached to the dash and thats the only way I have to take pics right now. Here are the ones I was able to get..
Snapshot_20120503_5-1.jpg

Snapshot_20120503_4-1.jpg

Snapshot_20120503_2-1.jpg

Snapshot_20120503_1-1.jpg

Snapshot_20120503-1.jpg

In the third photo on the steering box side just below the joint is where I cut and had the cj splined portion of the joint welded on. I know you can.t see it very well. In the fourth pic, there is a shiney spot on the lower portion of the upper joint, ignore that, it was rubbing my header after i ran it into a bridge.

Last edited:
Back