1977 cj7 restoration

77cj7

Hi I am just starting my restoration on my 1977 cj7. I am shooting for a frame off but may stray from it a little. I am 17 years old and this is my first restoration/project. I bought it a week ago for $1800 hoping for it to be a few easy fixes but didn't get so lucky. It has a AMC 304 v8 engine and 3 speed turbo 400 transmission, Borg Warner quadratrac transfer case,stock AMC 20 rear end and Dana 30 front end both with 3.54 gears, it has a 1 inch body lift and 2 inch extended shackles, currently some cheap aluminum wheels with 33-12.50-15 BFG mud terrains that are weather cracked and unusable. GM tilt column with a GT Grant steering wheel. Disk brake in front and drum in rear with stock brake booster. The 304 has the stock exhaust manifolds with flow-master exhaust with a small down-tip at the rear axle. It does currently run but I still have a huge list of parts list to fulfill.

Attachments

• image-760322745.jpg
    image-760322745.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 248
  • image-4253948140.jpg
    image-4253948140.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 312
  • image-1555790452.jpg
    image-1555790452.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 206
  • image-1237585986.jpg
    image-1237585986.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 324

Painting my hood hinges windshield/door hinges and the tail gate hinges to keep the rust away.

Attachments

• image-2761106534.jpg
    image-2761106534.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 270
77 cj7 was the first jeep I ever owned at age 18. $1,700 for it, and it just fell apart, full of bondo. I don't think there was a metal panel on it, it looked nice when I got it with the new paint job hiding the bondo. I didn't know anything about working on cars then and just drove it till I couldn't anymore. I have done many frame offs since then, not full resto's, just taking the body off and going through it replacing what needed attention and cleaning the whole thing up. Take your time, don't let yourself get too frustrated with it, because you will get frustrated! when that happens just walk away and come back another day. It will be "well" worth all the hard work when you are done. The ones I have done have taken anywhere from almost a year to two and a half years to complete, buying a part or two each payday. There are many on this site that can help when you have questions so don't hesitate to ask. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. There is a build section on this site if you want to post your progress there so others can follow along. I think its awesome that a young guy is going to take on redoing a older jeep rather than buying a newer rice burner like most younger people. After doing this you will know you jeep inside and out and will know something isn't right with just the slightest hiccup from it and know exactly what it is.

that is a nice looking jeep you got, for cheap!!

your column looks just like mine so it might be stock. mine is and mine is the first year after the cj so i have lots of cj stuff on my jeep from the factory

By now , I think this whole forum knows I missed out on a '66 cj5 by age 17 and the world hasn't heard the end of it yet. I won't even get into missing out on a '70 GTO with a perfect rear clip , factory ram induction hood , etc. . But I pray to get me a cj5 (will take a 7) before I'm too old because we got a Great crew to ask for R&R advice . I just want to say I hope it's as clean as your jeep and for that price as you got it at a steal . Wishing you best of luck . Greg

77 cj7 was the first jeep I ever owned at age 18. $1,700 for it, and it just fell apart, full of bondo. I don't think there was a metal panel on it, it looked nice when I got it with the new paint job hiding the bondo. I didn't know anything about working on cars then and just drove it till I couldn't anymore. I have done many frame offs since then, not full resto's, just taking the body off and going through it replacing what needed attention and cleaning the whole thing up. Take your time, don't let yourself get too frustrated with it, because you will get frustrated! when that happens just walk away and come back another day. It will be "well" worth all the hard work when you are done. The ones I have done have taken anywhere from almost a year to two and a half years to complete, buying a part or two each payday. There are many on this site that can help when you have questions so don't hesitate to ask. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. There is a build section on this site if you want to post your progress there so others can follow along. I think its awesome that a young guy is going to take on redoing a older jeep rather than buying a newer rice burner like most younger people. After doing this you will know you jeep inside and out and will know something isn't right with just the slightest hiccup from it and know exactly what it is.

69jeepcj hit the nail on the head . When you get stuck , just call a time out and give yourself the time to generate the right plan to move on. It a beauty and we would love to see you get it done right because we know you bought it for that reason. Yes , I applaud your decision flexing your red blooded American spirit to do it in a jeep ! One day , someone will be calling on you for expert advice from your experience . You will be known as PRIMO ! When its done , you'll need a bumper sticker reading " the only thing it can't do is leave its exploded engine parts on the street " . Die rice burner ! Greg

Thank you for your interest in my project everyone! I'm very excited about this jeep and will be sure to listen to your advice and also will keep everyone posted on new progress. I made some more progress painting the windshield frame, dash, and took the gas tank and skid plate out to paint the skid plate and get the tank boiled since its been sitting with gas in it. I'll post some pictures in the morning when it's light out side. Next on the list is getting the new HEI distributor in and new brackets and figure out the poor wiring job the past owners have done.

Sorry everyone I have moved this thread to the build section since I have figured out how to use all of this. Thank you. I really need everyone's advice and curiosity on this build since it's my first

Back