1980 CJ7 Engine & Transmission Q's (New Jeep Owner)

Hello,

I have only just recently given into my inner child and purchased a CJ7 which is a vehicle I have wanted since I was 5. It is beautiful but I want to really get into the inner workings and change things. It has a 258 i6 2 bbl carb, SR4 trans, Dana 300 t-case, Dana 30 & 44 axles as well.

Here is what I want....

I bought a t5 transmission today for $50 and after close inspection, I will do a rebuild replacing the cluster gear and main drive. I will throw it in before the end of the summer and sell or store my perfect sr4. Anything I should know?

As far as the engine, I want to make it look cool with edelbrock 4bbl carb and any other accessories you guys say I can feasibly put on. Any suggestions?

I also will be trying to put on wide track axles and selling my perfect dana 30 &44's, any suggestions?

Here are a few pictures, note this is before the work I am planning including a candy red paint, black steel corner and side panel covers and accessories, and a hard top and doors I am shopping for.

Attachments

• Jeep 1.jpg
    Jeep 1.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Jeep 2.jpg
    Jeep 2.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Jeep 3.jpg
    Jeep 3.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Jeep 4.jpg
    Jeep 4.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 29

Before you buy a rebuild kit for the t5, make sure it is a jeep t5. Jeep t5,s for the l6 used 1 1/8" 10 spline mainshaft (same as sr4), the 4cly used a 1" 14 spline shaft. If your t5 is from another make vehical, I think the adapter plate it dif also. Other than that it should be a pretty simple straight forward swap. Others may no more than me about it.

Last edited:
Congrads Dude! Why do you want to get rid of your Dana 30 and 44 axles? There are few better opinions, but not many and they will require a bit of work. Putting in a wide track set may not be feasible, I have never heard of doing it. Regardless, it would be a lot of work and quality wide track diff's are hard to come by, especially the Dana 44. If you want to go that route, I have a supplier in Texas that has a couple original 86 AMC Dana 44's.

As for the carbing, look into the Clifford manifold w/ adapter. It's easy to find and has a good reputation. Make sure it is the newer version with the internal water jacket. It's fairly straight forward as far as install goes, however you can’t re-use the stock exhaust manifold. So, you need headers as well, I’ll be happier that route away. Personally, I'd go with the Clifford and Weber set up. I can help you with the Weber set up if you need it.

What year is your jeep. Going from the narrow track (70,s) axle to wide track (80,s) is done all the time. You will probably lose some gearing unless you regear it. I believe the spring perches are in the same location, and is straight bolt in.

Not to sound like a jerk and I'm no expert, but the frame rails widths are different between wide and narrow track. You would certainly need to move the rear perches in on the wide track. The difficultly is going to be the front because of the off set differential. No doudt a good prefaber could do it, but again I ask why. I would perfer the Dana44 over the current AMC20 rear that I have (although, it is trussed and stitch welded). Again, no expert but not as easy as one might think.

69jeepcj..... Love ya man, you've helped me with so much....Thanks again Bro.

Swapping over from the narrow track axles to the wide tracks is no problem, they bolt right in. I have a 76 cj7. I swapped the front narrow track 30 to a wide 30 from an 83 scrambler and changed the amc 20 to a Dana 44 from a 86 cj7.

I stand corrected. I did some research and there is no difference on the spring perch widths. I have only had two cj7's and they were both wide tracks. I always assumed the frame widths were different. My bad guys!

I will be working on this jeep with my overtime money only per the mrs. so I got to take what I can get. I am very interested in someone selling wide track 44's and 30's but one questions for axles: can I get wide track 44's for front and back? Where at?

After buying the wide tracks, I will be selling my narrows.

The trans I bought from a CJ7 rebuild with a chevy 350 so he used a separate trans. If I can pull parts from the SR4 that will save me major bucks and I will look into it.

The carb, I want one to put with my i6 that will look cool when I open the hood. A cool carb with a silver disk (air filter) for the wife to like rather than an ugly black cover. Sorry I am tired right now so I am not being too specific.

There was no cj that came with front 44,s, and the only year for a cj wide track rear 44 was 86. Jeep waganeers came with front and rear dana 44,s though and are swaped into cj,s all the time. They are wider than the stock cj axles, even the wide tracks. Im not sure how much wider, Ive seen them on lots of jeeps and dont think they look too wide, but thats just my opinion. If I had to guess how much wider they are.... the 80,s wide track is 3" wider than the narrow track and I would guess that the waganeer 44 is about 3" wider than the wide track, (just a guess). International scouts used front and rear 44,s also that can be used in the cj, and I believe they are narrower than the waganeers. I hear that installing the front axle out of the scout is a bit tougher than the one from a waganeer, I don't know why though. waganeers from the mid 70,s to somewhere in the 80,s should have the 44,s and I think the same era for the scout axles. the spring perches on the wagy or scout axles will need to be moved though.

Last edited:
I reread your first post. So,, this is your first jeep??? Let me give you some advise from a guy who,s been jeepin and offroading for the last 29 years. DON;T buy into the current trend of bigger is better. You don't need big one ton axles and 40" tires to do most any trail. Your current 44 rear and 30 front is a nice little package. unless you are going to run larger than 35" tires and are heavy footed off road, your axles should hold up just fine. I ran 33x15.50 super swamper sx on my front 30 for over 10 years with a v-8 and didnt have any issues other than changing a couple of ujoints over that period of time. I do understand you wanting wider axles though as I do as well. You could save a little cash and buy 1-1 1/2" wheel spacers to give the jeep a wider stance. Your current axles are really just fine for anything other than the most extreme, 33" to 35" tire is about the max I would go on them though. I would concentrate on your engine and trans for now. Oh, for the trans.... I think most of the parts are interchangable from the sr4 to the t5 which may save some cash as well. What year is your jeep? This urge you have to improve your jeep will only get worse as time gos by, its unavoidable, an addiction. Unless you plan on being a pretty extreme off roader I would keep your current axles and put my money else where, lifts, lockers. Good luck and take your time and think out any plans you have.

I reread your first post. So,, this is your first jeep??? Let me give you some advise from a guy who,s been jeepin and offroading for the last 29 years. DON;T buy into the current trend of bigger is better. You don't need big one ton axles and 40" tires to do most any trail. Your current 44 rear and 30 front is a nice little package. unless you are going to run larger than 35" tires and are heavy footed off road, your axles should hold up just fine. I ran 33x15.50 super swamper sx on my front 30 for over 10 years with a v-8 and didnt have any issues other than changing a couple of ujoints over that period of time. I do understand you wanting wider axles though as I do as well. You could save a little cash and buy 1-1 1/2" wheel spacers to give the jeep a wider stance. Your current axles are really just fine for anything other than the most extreme, 33" to 35" tire is about the max I would go on them though. I would concentrate on your engine and trans for now. Oh, for the trans.... I think most of the parts are interchangable from the sr4 to the t5 which may save some cash as well. What year is your jeep? This urge you have to improve your jeep will only get worse as time gos by, its unavoidable, an addiction. Unless you plan on being a pretty extreme off roader I would keep your current axles and put my money else where, lifts, lockers. Good luck and take your time and think out any plans you have.

I was hoping to swap out the narrow tracks for wider tracks in hopes for adjusting the CJ's center of gravity for obvious safety reasons. I have already adjusted my suspension and steering assembly due to very shaky driving conditions resulting in a now smooth ride. My wife and I are currently looking at moving into a bigger home within 2 months time and will move my CJ in and start the Trans swap. I agree, it is an addiction and I just bought the thing but I guess it's a guy/jeep thing lol. I will do what you say though to keep the wallet full and add spacers.

Congrads Dude! Why do you want to get rid of your Dana 30 and 44 axles? There are few better opinions, but not many and they will require a bit of work. Putting in a wide track set may not be feasible, I have never heard of doing it. Regardless, it would be a lot of work and quality wide track diff's are hard to come by, especially the Dana 44. If you want to go that route, I have a supplier in Texas that has a couple original 86 AMC Dana 44's.

As for the carbing, look into the Clifford manifold w/ adapter. It's easy to find and has a good reputation. Make sure it is the newer version with the internal water jacket. It's fairly straight forward as far as install goes, however you can’t re-use the stock exhaust manifold. So, you need headers as well, I’ll be happier that route away. Personally, I'd go with the Clifford and Weber set up. I can help you with the Weber set up if you need it.

I will be looking at the Clifford and Weber set this week and get it when I find it cheapest. What do you guys think about HEI distributors though?

I upgraded mine at Christmas time and love it! I don't know about other guys, but I can tell the difference. And it really adds to the performance of the Weber Carb. I got about an additional 1.5mpg or so from it alone.

Another thing as far as finding them cheap. Be careful on EBay, etc, look for the ones that have that internal water jacket. In fact, go to the Clifford website and look at it. I believe the new ones are marked HW4500 on the bottom side. Regardless of where you find them, they are not cheap.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the first generations of Clifford's without the heater jackets, but if you live in a climate that gets cold, you'll want the new moldel.

the coolest look when you open the hood is a four barrel carb. you can get holley or edelbrock, for the main big names. they will bolt right on to a cliford or offenhauser intake because those intakes are made for four barrel carbs. if you use a weber, you will have to use an adapter to make it fit since it is a two barrel. then you can move onto getting a header too, which really adds to the wow factor when the hood is popped open

e33fad33-1.jpg

holley four barrel

Image015-1.jpg

weber 32/36 two barrel

28-1.jpg

holley two barrel

a5f476e9-1.jpg

weber 34/34 two barrel

0cb9ab81-1.jpg

motorcraft 2150 on offenhauser intake with adapter

you want performance, reliability, and looks. gas mileage will always be worse with a two barrel then a four barrel and power will be less. reliability wise, all ran. performance wise, the holleys, 2 and 4 barrels were the most fun.

I don't necessarily agree with Superj..... My advice is do your own research. Economy, power etc are based on many factors such as CFM's required, delivery method, progressive vs. synchronized fueling and can vary greatly based on the model carb applied. I'm a Weber fan , probably own and used every model in some way. Their two barrels operate on a very different principal that Hollys or Carters let's say. Go to the "inline sixes.com" web site. They describe these differences very well and will answer your earlier questions about HEI (however they call it "DUI", which is the same for the most part). Be an informed consumer Brother.......

Back