1980 CJ7 Engine & Transmission Q's (New Jeep Owner)

I'll throw in my two cents also. It all depends on how you plan to use your jeep. Daily driver, trail rig or both. When building an engine there are a lot of things to consider. You can't just throw a nice big carb. and intake on an otherwise stock motor. The engine will only flow as much air and fuel as the heads and cam shaft will allow. You have to look at the whole package. Example, super j has a stroker motor so his carb. and intake work perfect on his setup. That doesn't mean it will work on yours. I've tried both the Holley 2bbl. and weber on mine, which is basically a stock 4.2 by the way and they worked on the street but not for the type of trails I run. I'm using a mc2100 2 bbl. now and find it a good carb. for street and trail. But again it depends on how you use your jeep and how far are you willing to go on your build. One thing I do agree on is the Hei distributor, if you have points in it now you'll see a big difference. I've had mine for three years now and no problems, I know it'll start with the Hei. That's just my opinion and there are lots of people on here willing to help, so plan your build carefully and enjoy the ride.

I'll throw in my two cents also. It all depends on how you plan to use your jeep. Daily driver, trail rig or both. When building an engine there are a lot of things to consider. You can't just throw a nice big carb. and intake on an otherwise stock motor. The engine will only flow as much air and fuel as the heads and cam shaft will allow. You have to look at the whole package. Example, super j has a stroker motor so his carb. and intake work perfect on his setup. That doesn't mean it will work on yours. I've tried both the Holley 2bbl. and weber on mine, which is basically a stock 4.2 by the way and they worked on the street but not for the type of trails I run. I'm using a mc2100 2 bbl. now and find it a good carb. for street and trail. But again it depends on how you use your jeep and how far are you willing to go on your build. One thing I do agree on is the Hei distributor, if you have points in it now you'll see a big difference. I've had mine for three years now and no problems, I know it'll start with the Hei. That's just my opinion and there are lots of people on here willing to help, so plan your build carefully and enjoy the ride.

Hello,

I think you have a good point with finding the right choice for what I am doing. I wanted Edelbrock because of the looks and you feel good when you open the hood and see it but I don't believe my wallet will feel the same because of the drop in MPG. I was looking at the Weber 38 DGES and Holley 390 CFM and will do more research as I get closer to the tear down. So far I have these thoughts:

Axles: I like the spacer idea because of the cost savings compared to buying wide track.... but, I am doing a full tear down and can buy used off a TJ and rebuild them to look and work really nice so wide tracks are not entirely off the table.

Carb: I am stuck between Weber 38 DGES and Holley 390 CFM and will continue to find the right one of the two as the month of June comes to a close (remember suppose to be buying a new house June thus not starting the tear down til than).

Trans: My SR4 may have mutual parts but I can sell it and be able to pay for all new gears rebuilding the whole T5 to a new condition minus the core. I like this option better because of the life expectancy of all new parts versus just a few new parts.

While I have it torn apart, I will do a rebuild on the engine and T-case just to get everything all done at once.

Quick question, I have bestop soft top and doors with small thin strikers, I am getting a hard top and doors sent to me so I will be switching to a durable striker: Kentrol Interior Stainless Steel Door Latch Brackets Pair 30513
With this striker, what is the female section? I know this will work for a better security with half doors, full doors, and soft doors (the female part goes on each type of door) but I can't seem to find a reference as to what the female section is or a picture.

Bro, I hate to tell you but those are the wrong strickers for your jeep I believe. You need strickers that just have the post sticking out, those are for later 80,s jeep models. You are wanting the same stricker as the late 70,s models (76-80). Your jeep is right at the transition spot where they changed some things starting in 81. The female end is the part thats in your door that latches onto the post. This should have been my first question... What year top and doors are you getting?? that will make a dif. If its for a later 80,s then those strickers will work, if its for 80 and ealier then you need the ones with just the post sticking out.

collinsbros_2213_49825065-1.gif

like this one.

Last edited:
Good call on your carb idea. The 38 weber is a badass carb and the 390 should be too.

Those strikers you posted can be used on yours but you need yj doors and top. Those are the same strikers my 87 yj has

I will be buying YJ full and half doors as they are much easier to find up here in Portland. CJ's are not too popular around here but everyone has YJ's. That is why I chose those specific strikers. I will be buying full doors from someone off craigslist when they come available in my price range but the half doors I believe I will build from jeep4x4 thus needing to know the female part from jeep 4x4 or other store.

This will be my choice of carbs I will be buying as it is the cheapest price for new and they give me that good ol military discount:

WK551-38 38 DGES-JEEP 4.2 Ltr. 258ci
Holley Performance Products 390 CFM Four Barrel Street Carburetor 0-8007

The adapter and intake will be given to me from a friend new as he owes me (he works at a parts store).

Well, everyone it is finals week for school (yes, I go to school, best way to get ahead in life) so I will be off for a few days.

Back