1985 cj7

2wheelintim

Hello everyone. Just joined this site. I just purchased a 1985 cj7 and it was running great. I had it in 4L for driving in some snow and have manual locking hubs in the front. It drive great in the snow but when I went to take it out and put it back in 2wd nothing happens. By nothing happens I mean when I put it back in drive or even reverse it won't go in gear at all it staying in neutral and coasts. When I put it in park there is a winding sound and it doesn't actually go in park it stays in neutrAl. I'm trying to figure out if it's the transfer case or a bigger problem. Anyone with any answers id appreciate it. Thanks

Welcome to Jeepz.com.

Are you able to shift the transfer case back into 4 low and get back on the road, or are you dead in the water no matter what you shift into? Also, do you know if it has the stock transmission / transfer case, or has it been swapped out?

I had an 85 CJ7 many years ago, but it was a stick shift. I loved that Jeep :rolleyes:

By they way your describing your problem , it sounds as though the t-case is in neutral and may be stuck there. Be real careful hitting park on the transmission while the t-case is in neutral since you can cause damage to the park mechanism or even reverse. On a manual trans , you've got the clutch to partially engage the main trans to help nudge the t-case carefully into 4hi but as soon as you cross neutral on the t-case is when the grinding begins. This is when you got to know when to apply torque and when to stop applying it. It's really like double clutching a non-synchromesh transmission . You need to match engine speed , gear ratio and road speed. The 4LO is a granny gear and needs to be engaged practically standing still but need a little nudge to help mesh the teeth of the gears together. With an auto trans , you'll want neutral on the main trans as your crossing out of or into 4LO. 4HI is easy to hit but crossing neutral to 4LO takes some practice or it growls at you. If you are repeatedly getting stuck in neutral and can't hit 2HI or 4HI from neutral , you may want to kill the engine to prevent over torque and causing damage . Not saying this is normal operation , and it's not but try this and carefully move the t-case lever to next range from neutral to 2 or 4 HI to make certain the t-case shifts and bears are working. Don't want to say that you got a problem with the detent spring loaded ball in the shift mechanism so we want to make sure the the gears work ok in the t-case . Once back in 2HI , then try it again and see if you can engage 4HI , through neutral and to 4LO . I've had the Dana 20 , NP203 and now a Dana 300 . They all behave similar . Just my NP242 which is syncromesh ( shift on the fly) dosen't have that issue. First see if over torque is holding the t-case in 4LO or if you've really got a problem. Hey , how is the fluid level in the t-case ? Without enough lube , too much friction and gears won't physically slip on or off each other.
Yeah , can you tell us if it's got the original trans / t-case or have they been swapped out ?
Once had a similar situation with an old '78 jeep Cherokee . 4spd and 2spd t-case. Locking hubs. Had to climb a hill on a muddy slope in pitch black morning on opening day once and had four guys hanging off the rear tail gate . Couldn't back up down a hill without causing a safety issue to anyone so I couldn't shift out of 4LO . T-case was was over torqued. Had to try 2nd gear but still spun the tires. Once they got off , I backed down enough to get through neutral on the t-case with main trans back in 1st . You don't want to shift t-case in reverse . The gears will spin backward when engaged but not meant to shift in reverse motion. Gears aren't cut that way.
Lets make a long story short. Engine off , get the t-case back to 2wheel and try again . See if you got all forward speeds in 4wheel (Lo & hi range). If the t-case is in neutral and won't engage Lo or hi , don't shift the main trans into reverse or drive. That's abuse or damaging. You've got to get the t-case back into gear before getting main trans into gear too. The same for a manual trams . Check the lube level and try again . Let us know how it went.

Unless it's a steep grade or off road there really isn't much need for 4 wheel low. 4 wheel high is usually a better choice for driving on snow covered roads. Often older 4x4s respond better to transfer case changes if it is rolling slightly. I've had some that preferred being in reverse at 1-2 mph when shifting out of 4 wheel low.

How does the shift feel. Did you crawl under and verify your linkage is not messed up or disconnected.

Wow thanks everyone. A lot of great info there I appreciate it. It is an automatic trans and no matter what I do I can't get it to stay in 2wd drive once I get it in. It drives like it's still in 4L because it doesn't shift out of maybe 2nd gear and go over 15mph. I only had it in 4L because of a very steep hill I was climbing in sleet and snow. The transfer case was leaning a good amount but never messed with how to check the fluid in it. Everything is stock in it. The motor and trans 62,000 miles original. I believe all my trouble in in the transfer case because before I put it into 4wd then to 4L last week the jeep ran great and now it won't shift so maybe the fluid or its just shot. The jeep say for a long time in a garage before I scooped it up and no one did anything to any mechanical parts the body and frame was just all redone

Have you looked at the linkage and tried to shift the transfer case at the transfer case or just via the lever? Sometimes linkage and pop free, but also check the fluid in the t-case.

On my old CJ7 the transfer case shifter would pop out of position - leaving the transfer case stuck in whatever gear it was in, and the shift lever would wobble about at an unusual angle. I always had to take the top off the transfer case and put the shifter back in the correct spot.

When you said "The transfer case was leaning a good amount" are you just talking about the angle of the Jeep, or something else?

On my old CJ7 the transfer case shifter would pop out of position - leaving the transfer case stuck in whatever gear it was in, and the shift lever would wobble about at an unusual angle. I always had to take the top off the transfer case and put the shifter back in the correct spot.

When you said "The transfer case was leaning a good amount" are you just talking about the angle of the Jeep, or something else?

Had that same thing happen to me on my 91 yj.

Hello everyone. Just joined this site. I just purchased a 1985 cj7 and it was running great. I had it in 4L for driving in some snow and have manual locking hubs in the front. It drive great in the snow but when I went to take it out and put it back in 2wd nothing happens. By nothing happens I mean when I put it back in drive or even reverse it won't go in gear at all it staying in neutral and coasts. When I put it in park there is a winding sound and it doesn't actually go in park it stays in neutrAl. I'm trying to figure out if it's the transfer case or a bigger problem. Anyone with any answers id appreciate it. Thanks

I had that problem what it ended up being was the hubs got stuck between lock and unlock the grease got cold and would not let it work properly.good luck CW69

Back