1993 yj - need tips and advice jeepers!!

ap128

Just looking for any input from fellow jeepers - I have had a 93 yj for 9 years. I have a 2004 liberty so she has been parked in the garage for sometime. This spring I started driving it to work everyday. I have been throwing some cash into it to bring it back to life as basically everything was stock. I have added - 31 10.5 bfg At and AE 15x8 polished rims. tfx cat back, high flow cat, removed the air restriction from the stock intake and added a K&N air filter. I have replaced the u joints. Just had the whole clutch system replaced. She looks and runs great for a 1993 4 banger. I have noticed a lag in power going up hills. also have noticed some oil in the air filter from time to time which sounds like pretty normal for a 4 cylinder yj. I am planning on replacing the plugs and wires as they haven't been replaced the whole time i have owned the jeep. I was debating on a crown tune up kit or a fire power ignition kit from quadratech... Would it be worth the extra money to get the fire power kit? Should I replace the fuel filter like the crown kit comes with? I also have bone stock suspension...I know she needs new shocks. I don't want a big lift. I have some minor tire rub from the bfg's. I would like to restore the ride and take care of the rub. but being i drive an hour to work everyday i don't want to get crazy with it. I have thought about the daystar 1 inch body lift and new shocks or the black diamond 1.5 suspension from quadratech. Which route should i go with here? and last i need a new top before the illinois winter sets in because my bestop replace a top is aging and the side windows are shot. I am pretty much set on the sail cloth replace a top. I also noticed the new half top. Anyone heard good/bad about this top??? Thank you for reading and all input is appreciated. 8)

Welcome to the Z. Where abouts in IL are you? I'm down near St. Louis.

Consider a 2.5" spring lift, it will give the jeep just the right height for the 31" tires.

I have the Firepower ignition kit and I like it. Great upgrade for the 4banger.

As for the lack of power, it's pretty normal for a 4cyl and oversized tires. Best way to get power back is to regear the axles to 4.88. Short of that, consider a 4.0L throttle body or 62mm throttle body and a high-flow intake. Electric fan replacing the mechanical fan will help also.

I'm in Lasalle county. Near the Illinois and Vermillion river. I am about 20 minutes from cliffs insane terrain in seneca. I don't expect much power with the tires. But i have noticed a bit more lag than it used to have. I am sure the plugs and wires will make a good difference since they are still the old factory ones... What brand of suspension lift do you think? I don't really want to deal with vibrations or make me jeep harder to handle down the highway. I hear if you go with the 1.5 than you don't have to worry about a transfer case drop, pitman arm, or brake lines. And I would get all new springs with that kit. I also think my stock springs are pretty worn and the 1.5 would give me about 2.5?? But that is why I am asking for info. Thanks for your input.

Back