1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Shifter Cable Replacement

CJStephens73

Hi, Apparently the shifter cable on my husband's 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd has worn out or been "stretched" because A. we had to shift into neutral to turn the engine over, and B. we had to drop it into 1st and then push the shifter up to D to shift into drive. Reverse was a hit or miss between Park and Reverse.
Now it is worse! Last weekend, I parked the jeep without realizing there was a tree root against the front tires. Basically, it was chocked to the point I had to get a towtruck to pull it back a few feet so I could shift into any gear. I did not realize that my attempts to shift it out of Park would further stretch the cabel.
Now, When we attempt to shift into Park, the shifter is in the right place, but the truck is actually in Reverse, and we have to turn the engine off to get it to stop rolling back. Plus, when we attempt to shift into Drive, we have to basically shove the shifter all the way back to 1st and HOPE it will actually shift.

Anyway, we know the cable needs to be replaced, and I have ordered the replacement, but I need to ask for any instructions or pointers on replacing it? We tend to like to repair our own vehicles, for the challenge and to gain the knowledge, so any input will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Back