1999 Cherokee 4.0L - Problem with Stalling

ga1300

Similar to a number of other threads that I've read on the site here, I've been having an issue with my '99 Jeep Cherokee stalling on me.

About 6 months ago I was driving along. I was approaching a light so I slowed down and then all of a sudden the engine died. I tried starting it back up and the engine would not turn over on its own. To get the engine going I had to keep my foot on the accelerator and keep the speed up (about 1500 to 2000 rpm). Eventually the idle kicked in and then I was on my way. Then I had no problems starting the engine later that day or the next day.

Had a few (3 or 4) similar episodes a few weeks after.

Later on had the battery die on me. Replaced the battery and back to normal again.

A week after replacing the battery, had a problem where the car wouldn't start. Even with keeping my foot on the accelerator the engine wouldn't turn over. Ended up being the fuel pump so had the fuel pump and fuel filter replaced.

Thought this would take care of the stalling but about 3 weeks later had it happen again.

In between all of this had the starter go bad. Thought it was the battery cables but ended up being the starter.

In reading some of the threads many have pointed to the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS), Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), IAC, or possibly the computer.

Any ideas in my situation here or any recommendations on what I should look into first?

I appreciate your help.

Usually the tps cause the engine has no idea where the throttle is if its bad causing it to die seen it many times

All of the sensors you mentioned would cause the engine to stall however, not all of the sensors would throw a DTC on to he PCM. Is the SES lamp on?. The CKP(Crankshaft position sensor), CMP(Camshaft position sensor ) would normally indicate a signal fault to the PCM as far as its synchronization with timing but in some cases, an intermittent loss of signal doesn't always report a DTC. The TPS would sometimes have flat spots and would cause a momentary sputter or stumble but if the flat spot occurs at the idle position, a stall would occur. The IAC motor would cause a stall if the pintle gets stuck and would ultimately cause the air vs. fuel ratio to be out of range. This would be an easier task to check first since it's readily accesible and would probbably just require a thorough bench cleaning.

There's no check engine light on when this happens so I haven't check for the DTC's.

I'll try the IAC as you've suggested and then move on to the TPS.

I appreciate your help.

Back