2.5 idles to fast

dgriff1

have A 1989 2.5 wrangler 5 spd seams to idle to fast on board tac says 1500 rpm ,has F I NO ADJUST .BOOK STATES LOOK FOR vac LEAK ANY HELP . Engen runs great other than this. thanks Dave

Besides vac leaks, also make sure that all bolts and screws that put together the throttle system are tight, i had a similar problem and could not find any vac leaks, and it ended up being that, apparently they got lose with vibration.

Besides looking for vac leaks (would be my first answer), I would go ahead and clean the TB, IAS and TPS. Also, there is a small hex screw on the bottom of the trhottle body to adjust the plate's closing point; it is unlikely that it is your problem, but I had mine set a bit too open, so the idle was high. You may want to look into it if nothing else seems to work.

Mine did the same 94 2.5 yj. all vaccums wee good. it ended up being a tiny leak between the exhaust manifold and header

yea thats the thing that was wrong with mine i just wasnt sure what it was called so i didnt want to be wrong. but the bolts were just loose and all i had to do was tighten them.

I have an '89 YJ with 67k miles. It is a 2.5 and idles crazy fast, 2500+, the dealer can't figure out the problem. No vacum leaks and replaced the idle air control motor.

Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

If i remember right all i had to do was to tighten the manifold bolts. Try that and see if it helps. Good luck

Just an FYI if it applies to your vehicle/ symptons- couldn't figure out why my 91 4.0 YJ would idle about 1300-1400 as I rolled to a stop, and then back down to normal idle within about 3 seconds consistently. Vacuum leaks were pointed out as a potential cause- couldn't find any. Changed every sensor/ and cleaned throttle body while I was at- no difference. Once in a awhile it would stumble accelerating from a stop and if I didn't catch it in time, die when there were a ton of cars behind me.

Last time it died on me (and it was a pain in the rear to start anytime it did this) I got ****ed and took it to the dealer, just tired of messing with it. Turns out it was the pigtail going to the coolant temperature sensor. They cut it out of the wiring, spliced the new connector/ wire in and voila, runs like a champ!

Idle is now perfect all the time, never stumbles when accelerating, and starts better. All for a piece of wiring that looked fine.

Just thought I'd throw that in for any help to people having that kind of symptom. You guys have helped me with questions, figured if I can save anyone else the trouble I went though, that's what this is about, right?

Back