2.5 oil pressure?

95 2.5l around 170,000 miles on it. at idle the oil psi is 15 and dosent go up to much from there. At 3500 rpm the oil pressure is about 19 psi? Where should i.be running at? Is the pump going out?

could be. at those higher rpm's id say it should be closer to 35-40. could be wrong though. how's the engine temp?

Engine temp is good. Has a 165 thermastat and Mark vi e fan kicks on at 210. It just seems low and when the psi dosent raise that much with the rpms it makes me worrie.......

It would be my guess that the pump is going out or the pick up screen is clogged. My oil presure is around 20 at idle and 35-40 at higher rpms.

Didnt even know I had a pick up screen. Where would it be located? Im assuming I would drop the pan?

insufficient funds said:
Didnt even know I had a pick up screen. Where would it be located? Im assuming I would drop the pan?

Yes the screen is in the oil pan. As far as oil pressure goes 10 psi for every 1000 rpm is a good range to be in.

I would start with the gauge.I had a similar issue but at warmed up idle my gauge would sit on 0 psi.I installed an after market real gauge and compared to factory gauge.factor gauge was way off so i now ignore the factory and look at the after market.

A bad gauge is a posibility. I have had low reading gauges before also on other jeeps. replaced it with one from local auto store and I had better presure.

Check with your local auto parts store, they usually have a program where you can borrow diagnostic tools, you can get a pressure tester, it goes in the block where the oil sending unit is, if it reads higher then you know its either the gauge or the sending unit

i spent $17 and bought an after market gauge and a t block splitter to have the factory gauge and after market connected at same time.On my 97 the sending unit in the block is on the passenger side below the ac pump in front of distributer,not sure if the 95 is in the same place.

Back