2000 Wrangler will start, but won't stay running....

360jeep

Hi there,

I'm new to this, but was hoping you all had some ideas for me. I have had this Jeep for 13 years and have never had a problem with it. Recently have been having some electrical issues due to how wet it gets inside of it. Haven't had cover for her and the leaks have started to affect the radio, lights, etc. Now she will start, but dies immediatly. Could this also be an electrical problem? My BF thinks that it is in the ignition....I just don't know. Really don't want to go into winter without my Jeep... :-(

Thanks!!

I had a problem like that and it was the computer it's on the fire wall if it got wet it fried it you charge the battery it start and just runs tell the battery is dead

This could be a combination of problems, but most likley is the Crank position sensor and/or Cam sensor has failed. This a common problem with 97-03 wranglers. The sensor fails without throwing a code. a good auto shop should be able to test the resistance across the Crank sensor and test the voltage from the cam sensor as it pulses and tell you which one , or both have failed.

There is a few things you could check or clean before changing parts. First clean the power and ground terminals and connections. Poor connections will cause it to run rough or stall. Then clean the IAC and TB. The IAC controls the idle post start. If it is dirty or broken you will start but not continue. You could try starting it with the gas depressed a bit. If it runs until you let off the gas it's the IAC.

Another possibility is to check your fuel pressure a failing pump or clogged filter will allow it to start but not nessissarily run.

If the CKP or CPS fail it will not start at all.

Back