2005 jeep wrangler x 4.0 engine rear oil seal leaking

Battles66

I have a 2005 jeep 4.0 engine with 130000 miles automatic transmission that I changed out the transmission filter and fluid last night. I have a rear main oil seal leak. I plan to change the oil and filter today and I am going to substitute one of the 6 quarts of 10 w 30 oil with Lucas oil stop leak and seal restore. I have been told this is a common problem with these engines after they get some miles on them. It's a willy's addition with camouflage seats . I have never seen one before until I seen this one. P.S. any help with the rear main seal leak I would appreciate it.

Before adding any additives make sure your CCV (Closed Cranckcase Ventilation) system is working properly. If it's clogged you will build excess crankcase pressure, and that pressure will find a path of least resistance to get out. This path is often seals or gaskets.

The CCV system consists of a fresh air line from the intake tube to the valve cover, then a vacuum line from the valve cover to the intake manifold. This system pulls fresh air in from the intake tube as the manifold vacuum pulls vapors from the crankcase to be burned.

With the engine running, pull the fresh air line from the intake tube and make sure it has strong vacuum into the engine. If it doesn't, the orifice in the vacuum line may be clogged or the vacuum line collapsed.

Back