3" LIFT ADVICE; SUSPENSION vs. BODYLIFT vs SHACKLES?

Noy2014

I'm so excited about me my '86 CJ7! Just arrived yesterday. :) Time to beef it up. I have a few questions about which lift approach is right for me.

1) I am looking to go with 33" tires. So this means a 3" lift would sufficient, correct?

MY OBJECTIVE: I live in South Florida, the land is flat as can be and I have no plans to go off-road. I would like to achieve a more modern-like, smoother and more stabilized ride.

- I do not really looove the way a body-lift looks with those 3" plastic cans, but would go with if best for me.
- From what I understand, going with a 3" suspension lift, would actually make for an even bumpier drive. Is this true that the body would 'rock and bounce' even more since the weight (engine, drive-train, frame, etc) is lifted higher off the ground?

2) I was thinking about perhaps doing a 2" suspension lift WITH a 1" shackle lift. OR SOME COMBINATION THEREOF. --- Or am I completely off-base, and since I am not off-roading, this approach would be counter-productive to a smoother ride? Can anyone offer any feedback to these lift possibilities with regards to my goals?

Thank you!!

Noy

I don't know how daring you are, but I would try a Wrangler 2.5 in. lift, buy wider front spring hangers, and get 1 in. longer greasable shackles. That would sum up to 3in. of lift and should be more stable as the Wrangler springs are 2.5 in. wide opposed to CJ7 springs being 2 in. wide in the front. I haven't done this nor do I know anyone who has done this, so... just a thought. :shades:

Get the height you need from a spring kit, try to stay away from longer shackles as they lead to worse handling. Longer shackles increase leverage and side to side movement of the axles.

Back