350 chevy swap to an 2002 wrangler ?

dennyray

Ok .i know you've all herd this before . I have a 2002 jeep wrangler but it's killing me in gas ,i wount to keep the jeep ,Was woundering how much trouble it would be to put in a chevy 350 ,and what all is involved ,and what parts will i need ,will the factory wire harnes be used,i'm getting around 12 miles to the gallon ,it's getting old filling up twice a week ,and getting less than 300 miles on two tanks,15 gallon tank i gess light comes on takes close to that to fill it,at 50 bucks a pop, that sucks.would a banks freash air system work on fuel milage,i've changed filters,plugs,wires,fluids,ect,anyway just a thought .thanks for your input.

You have to get the adapter to hook the trans tothe engine. It's a couple hundred bucks. But, your mileage should increase

dennyray said:
Ok .i know you've all herd this before . I have a 2002 jeep wrangler but it's killing me in gas ,i wount to keep the jeep ,Was woundering how much trouble it would be to put in a chevy 350 ,and what all is involved ,and what parts will i need ,will the factory wire harnes be used,i'm getting around 12 miles to the gallon ,it's getting old filling up twice a week ,and getting less than 300 miles on two tanks,15 gallon tank i gess light comes on takes close to that to fill it,at 50 bucks a pop, that sucks.would a banks freash air system work on fuel milage,i've changed filters,plugs,wires,fluids,ect,anyway just a thought .thanks for your input.

You will also need the all the wiring and pcm from the donor vehicle and all the sensors also to make it emissions legal (unless you don't have emissions in your area

It would take you a lot of years to recoup the money that it would cost you to change over to a 350. My sugestion would be to buy a vehicle with better gas mileage and keep the jeep as a toy. Altho it would be a cool jeep with a 350 in it.

I think you would be better off finding an 5.3 engine.

That said, you need to consider that your going to spend at least a grand. Since you stated that milage is the main trust for the swap, how many miles will you have to drive, at about 1-2 miles per gallon improvement to re-coup the money invested in the swap? and to add, it will cost way more than a grand. your stock transmission really is not going to hold up to the V8 so you will need a motor, trans, adapter from trans to T-case. you will have to address the fuel system, electronics, cooling, motor mounts, axles, etc.. in the end it will be about $2000+ to do it right.

Denny, take a look at Novak adapters knowledge base. These people have been making products for the back yard mechanic to do V8 swaps for years in jeeps.
The information will give you better knowledge on what it takes to plan, and finish a V8 conversion.

Denny, take a look at Novak adapters knowledge base. These people have been making products for the back yard mechanic to do V8 swaps for years in jeeps.
The information will give you better knowledge on what it takes to plan, and finish a V8 conversion.
I was just wavering my odds .i've always wounted a jeep with a v-8 .and the way i am with my stuff it will coast me a bundle ,id want every thing look factory and show ready ,i think i'll keep what i have a get me a better to go to work and back ,i put the pen to it and to do it the way i would like it ,doing it all my self id have near 5000 in it ,that'll buy a lot of gas ,i'm an old hot rodder and like the v-8's,is there a cam shaft made that would be good for the street with a good lop for the 4.0 's .i can't leve my hands off it, my wife said good thing were on a budget.If i'm going to get bad gas milage i woun't it to at least hit a lick,ha ,ha .i've got all sorts of crazy ideas ,i'm glade i have you all to talk it over with ,thanks to you all .

i feel the same way. if i am getting bad gas mileage, i want to do it fast

There are a lot of fuel saving tricks you can do for your jeep. basically improve fuel/air in and out and you will get better milage, aso not gearing too deep (which not ideal for wheeling, great for highway travel) if you can get your rpm's to about 1900-2100 rpm's at 65 mph you are with in the optimal efficiency of the motor. assumig it is not too hilly where you live.

Or windy. I live in the town where they have the windsurfing championship and while we have no hills.....

I feel your pain brother. I just dropped a fresh 350 in my 78 cj5. It was built from a mid 80's block with the front aluminum "donor" mounts off of a 1989 suburban to convert to the new style serpintene belt system. I already had the bell housing. Motor build $1,700, donor mounts $200 which included the power steering pump etc. $65 to rebuild the hoses to cross jeep and chevy.... It is a daily driver. Me, the wife, the kids, no problem. Moral of the story, I own a two wheeler to get to work, It was 34 deg out this morning but I 45 mpg;) You want a small block jeep get one or build one but fuel should be your last reason. Good Luck and God bless!

AEV makes a complete kit to drop in a Dodge truck hemi. Probably be easier and I think they have cylinder deactivation that makes them good on gas.

Back