4.0 h.o swap

mossyoaktj

i have 97 jeep wrangler with a 2.5 in it and im buying a 4.0 ho for about 150 bucks and also getting the 5 spd transmission and transfer case out of another jeep cherokee and am planning to swap them into my jeep but was wondering what all i needed besides the computer, wirering harness. would i need motor mounts or will it fit directly in if ne one has any info on this swap please let me know

You're going to have to change everything. The motor mounts are different, computer is different, tach is different, drive shafts are different, its gonna be just as tough of a job as it would be to put in any other motor. But... If you do go for it, we've got the answers

thanks im definitly going for it but before i do i am trying to get the info i need to do it so i have all the parts to do it. if you have ne more info hit me up

well im buying a jeep cherokee for the motor trans and well everything for the swap would i be able to cut the mounts out of that of should i just buy new ones

You won't be able to use the XJ mounts, totally different design with the XJ unibody. You'll have to fab something or cut some from a 4.0L YJ. Don't know if there's anything on the market to buy and weld on.

thanks for the info. i havent found out if the guy is still wanting to sel or not so i may no be able to do so just yet. but i will keep al the info in mind. imay just mod my motor for a few extra horses because it already runs good for a 4cyl. if you have any good info on horse pwr modes i can do let me know

Your gonna have to change everything pretty much and don't forget to get stiffer springs for your new weight gain

If you are going to go through all that trouble, you might as well put a Vortec 4.3 V6 or a small block Chevy V8 in there.

Back