4.0L in 1995 YJ

vavs

I have a 1995 Jeep Wrangler with a 2.5L engine, can I bolt in a 1994 4.0L or is there an adapter kit I need to buy? Any help would be great!!! Thanks.

Vavs

I'm pretty sure a swap like that would involve new motor mounts and a new radiator. You will also definatley need an ax15 transmission at the minimum (what the 4.0 came with stock) a new input shaft for your t-case and all the other like nickle and dime stuff that comes with a swap. If you're going to do a swap id put in a fuel injected 350. If you really want the 4.0 Id just sell your current jeep and find one with a 4.0L.

TARSI

any motor (that can fit in the engine bay) would be just as easy of a swap as a 4.0... might as well go big if you're gonna go at all

One of my friend was wondering the same thing. He has the 2.5 YJ and wanted to know what kinda of adapter/parts were needed. He wants the added power, but he doesnt want to upgrade to a 350 or any other big V8 because he doesnt want to swap out the transmission and rear end and stuff that the those engines will eat up. Ive read of people that after a change like that they end up having to replace there transmission in a week or two.
Im sure there is adapters out there for 4.0 swap but what else is need?? Am i right on this stuff or is it a lil off the wall?

The AX-5 won't even hold up to the 2.5l. Swapping a larger engine in front of that transmission would be a total waste of time and money.

Swapping the 4.0 and AX-15/231 into a four cylinder Jeep wouldn't be hard if you had a parts Jeep that you could remove everything from(and sell any leftover parts from). Buying a wrecked in the rear 91-95 YJ with the 4.0 would be the best route to take. Removing stuff from one Jeep and installing it into another of the same model is a no-brainer and it can be done with ALL factory parts.

i believe bounty used an ax-5 behind a V8 and it held up fine.... but... no, i wouldn't do it... you'd pay more for adapting than you would to buy a used transmission that actually fits, and will hold the power

Bounty swapped a 350 in front of a peugeot I think. Not really any better but it will hold a little more torque.....I wouldn't do that swap either though.

Back