4.2 L I-6 Re-man

signguy

Under the heading of "Gee, I didn't see that one coming"....
I was going to rebuild the 4.2L in my '79 CJ 5 this winter. Meant it to be a learning experience for me and my youngest son. The Jeep will be his some day anyway. Then I had a major heart attack last week and things got a little changed around. Still, I think the lad could do the job on his own if I was there to supervise if we were just replacing the old mill with a crate motor. My question is simple; does anyone have any good advice or experience with crate 258 cid motors? I have done a couple of the the old 350 target motors in Chevy pickups years ago. Seemed OK. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

No experience with the crate 258, but something to think about is that all of the AMC v8,s use the same bolt pattern as the 258 and only the drivers side ( I think its drivers side) motor mount needs changed and its a bolt on. Its a total bolt in swap, uses the same harness too.

Yup... Doin' way better than I deserve! Gonna stick with the old six banger tho', I kinda' like them. I'm sure something will turn up on the Forum here. Thanks.

I put a crate motor in my 87 YJ. 258CID. 4.2L.

I got it from NAPA, although i'm sure you could find one for cheaper, for $2,000.

It currently has 12,000 miles on it and it runs great, money well spent.

The major reason that i went with NAPA, is that i get a Jobber Discount at my local store because i do a lot of business there. And the shipping was taken care of by NAPA. Made quite a difference when having to look at truck freight on 600lbs.

I put a new flywheel on it, but used all of my old externals, except for the intake, i went with an Offenhauser for that. So that i could mount a Holley 390cfm 4 bbl.

Back