4.2l 87 wrangler YJ need help

tazsean

Hello, I am a 15 year old boy who is getting a 87 wrangler YJ 4.2l straight 6 as his car when i get my license (hopefully soon!). I was hoping i could get some help with fixing it up seeing as how there is some severe rust on the undersarriage and the (still stock) shocks are going. I am just looking for some advice on what to get when upgrading it with a 2 or 4 inch lift. now im saying this now i only have about a 2,000 dollar budget and thats saving over time. i would also like some sugestions on tire looking at 31's but im not sure. it has a replacement 258 (pretty sure thats what it is) in it with a metalbrock 4 barrel carb and is getting in the next few days a performance cold air intake with a silencer. im just looking for some advice on other things to make it trail worthy but still keep it viable as a daily driver. Any other suggestions you can think of would help to. dont owrry about stuff that requires welding or custom parts becouse my mechanic (sam) is very handy with making custom parts for all of the family cars (thats where my carb came from. the holley that was on there sucked so he traded for this one) also the jeep has problems with rough idle even once warmed. could just be the carb needing cleaning havnt had sam do that lately. Ohhh yea and its the 5 speed with a custom rebuilt transmission (also made by sam). also thought id mention that my dad (the slower one) broke the gate in fourth gear... just putting that out there for laughs

Last edited:

LIFT, if you don't want to spend a whole bunch of money, a cheap lift would be add-a-leaf. They ride rougher but will give you bout two inches or so. Also highlift makes cheap shocks but they're better than stock ones. What exactly is rusted, the body tub?

The chassis is rusted to hell. And the current springs are gone so far that an add a leaf would destroy them. Im looking at a $450 set of springs and shock's with a 4'' lift from rough country just waitng for the off season to see if they go down any. i really need that new chassis but i cant find anywhere that has any for less that $400.

i jsut want sugestions so i knwo what to book mark and what to look for a=while im saving up so that i can get everything over a period of time and have it all ready to get put in once i know what im doing. but the frame and the suspension need to be replaced or ill break it hitting a pot hole at 25 mph

Back