4wd Indicator Light

JohnnyO

In early summer the 4wd indicator light on the dash quit coming on. The lever pulls up fine but it doesn't feel like it's in 4wd. I had someone tell me that the light only comes on when the vacuum hubs lock in but I thought 97's didn't have vacuum hubs. Neither the 4 Hi or 4 Lo light comes on.

Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Sorry for what may be a dumb question but this is my first Jeep.

The lever is a mechanical engagement of 4wd, no vacuum involved. If the transfer case shifts fine and it feels like 4wd is engaged, it likely is.

The 4wd indicator switch on the transfer case likely needs replaced. You will find two sets of wires attached to the transfer case, one to the speed sensor on the tailshaft and the other to the 4wd indicator switch.

Okay, thanks. I wasn't going 'froading until I got new tires, which I just did, but I shift it into 4wd to park it up the hill in the yard sometimes and it seems to do that fine. One day the light just quit coming on.

I had a gromet go out on my 97 (where shift rod goes into shift lever on transfer case) the light was intermitent, next day shifed into 4H and felt a little weird went to a sand pit pulled into 4L and the rod fell out of the shft lever! Now I was neutral, got underneth the jeep and had to manualy put the transfer case in gear AND TIE THE SHIFT ROD UP AND AWAY because it was dangling by the U joint and going to get chewed...
Must say it was a bear to get the new gromet in but after I did the light came on when I was in each gear as it should. Mechanic told me if its not in the correct position (transfer all the way in gear) the light will not come on. the switch is set up that way....FYI
Jimmy

Back