4wd indicator lit-up during starting

pghpenna

Which Jeep Is Best?

Decided to take my gals 93 wrangler to work this morning and during start up the 4wd indicator lit-up momentarly. Is this a normal thing (to ensure the light bulb is operational) or is there some sort of short I should be sniffing out? Her jeep is a 93yj, 4.0, 5 speed manual trans. Thanks, Frank

No, it is not normal. The only thing I can think of is there any moisture in the T-case selector plug, If so, it will ground out the light and cause it to flicker. The other is if the shifter is not 100% in the 2wd location, there might be a small chance the shifter is far enough back to trigger the light but nothing else.

The electrical switch for the 4wd light is in the vacuum diconnect mounted to the front axle. Nothing electrical on the transfer case (but for the newer electric speedos).

When driving in 2wd, vacuum is pulling the shift fork in the direction to disconnect the axle sleeve, until it's put in 4wd and another vacuum port pulls the shift fork over to engage the axle sleeve.

I think somehow the shift fork is moving slightly towards engaging the axle sleeve when the jeep is shut off and there is no vacuum, moving enough to trip the switch for the 4wd light. As soon as you startup and vacuum is applied to the front axle, the shift fork pulls the axle sleeve back to 'disengaged'.

This shouldn't happen, as without vacuum in either port the shift fork should stay where it was last put. I don't think it hurts anything, but keep an eye on the front wheels and make sure they engage when in 4wd. If they don't pull in 4wd, let us know.

you can always take apart the vacuum shifter and clean it out good

Back