'73 CJ5 gas tank help

pinaplebob

I'm looking to replace my smashed up gas tank that came on my CJ5. I've been underneith the thing multiple times now, and it appears that thing is bolted in the back two corners, and there is one bolt centered in the front.

Every place i've found that stocks the tank says something about straps being required to hold up the tank. What the heck am I missing? I'm certain it is not a replacement/aftermarket tank, but i could be wrong. (Fit is prefect, and bolt holes line up perfectly).

When I did the tank on my '78 it had straps, and I don't see anything in common between the two back there.

Thank you for your respons

Are you looking at the skid plate?I dont know much about CJ's but if it has a skid plate the straps may be under the plate.

I need to check for myself on my TJ because my skid plate is rusted badly.Want to make sure there are straps or something else holding my tank in the air,otherwise I am going to lose some day.

That is what I thought at first. And Ive been under it three times, but there is no skid plate on the tank.

It's all confusing to me....

take a pic and post it,may help to explain what u are looking at.

Hey XT master,
watch out for your tank... I guy at work here lost his tank last fall. The skid rusted through and out came the tank.:bomb: On the way out it trashed his fuel lines/hoses. There are straps in there but they just hold the tank into the skid (they go across the top of the tank). The skid then bolts into the frame. You rely on the skid to support the tank. Best of luck - John

Hey XT master,
watch out for your tank... I guy at work here lost his tank last fall. The skid rusted through and out came the tank.:bomb: On the way out it trashed his fuel lines/hoses. There are straps in there but they just hold the tank into the skid (they go across the top of the tank). The skid then bolts into the frame. You rely on the skid to support the tank. Best of luck - John

Thanks I looked under it the other day and it is only the one corner that is rusted no where close to falling out,but another thing added to the list to replace.

Back