76 cj5

bej76

I'm thinking about buying a 76 CJ5. What are some things to look out for on these models? Also, it does have the factory 304 V8. How can you tell if it is the Renegade model?

About the same for any year cj. look around the steering gear box on the frame for cracks, around the spring mounts on the frame for cracks. The 76 did not have a fully boxed frame, well, some were and some weren't. The 76-86 frames should be fully boxed but there were some left overs that went out the door with the non boxed frames in 76. There is nothing wrong with those frames, just more prone to crack. If it is a renagade model it should say on the side of the jeep, and somewhere in the interrior. Its about like telling a wrangler sport model from a sahara or islander, other than it being painted on the side you cant tell. There was a few slight dif with the renagade but I dont know what they were.

Everything 69jeepcj said is right on...The big thing as with any CJ is condition & how much has been modified....if the mods were done correctly or "buggered up" etc...

I like 76 and up CJ's, parts are a bit cheaper because they're pretty much all the same. If the frame isn't boxed, they don't hold crud as bad. My son's 76 is boxed. The 304 is an excelent engine, run a WIX filter ( NO Frams!). The T-150 3 speed is a good trans, prob what it has. Look the frame over for rust. Myself I don't worry so much about the tub, when you can buy a quarter pannel for $55 bucks. Good luck.

Back