'85 cj7 wont start

bigbronco

I drove my jeep home 3 days ago and stopped to get gas about 5 miles from home. i shut it off, filled her up and it started fine. got home, went inside, grabbed a glass of tea and it would turn over but wouldnt start.
I have no clue as to why it would not all of a sudden start. I changed the battery, Coil, Ignition module, Distributor cap, ROtor, and a new distributor. Also a new starter switch. What could the problem be.
After I put the new distributor on, it would backfire when i stopped trying to crank it but still no fire. my spark plugs only get fire when you are about to shut the key off. and same with coil. When cranking, the motor sounds to be having to push something extra. It is getting fuel, I have tried different patterns from my distributor to plugs to see if that was it. but no luck. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Also, any jeepers from Southwest missouri, Northwest arkansas, or northeast oklahoma give me a holler and we can maybe go wheelin sometime. thanks

ignition switch? run a hot wire from the battery to the coil and try starting it

where do i connect the wire from the battery?
I connected it to a red wire coming from the coil and i heard a singing noise.

How far was the gastation from your house? i would have checked the fuel, there might have been too much water in it and causing it not to start, but when u first left the gastation ther was still good fuel in the fuel line to start her up and keep her running. but if you changed the distributor and now its back fireingyour timing is off and u need to re stab the distributor. but i would stii go and check the fuel thats happened to me b4 when i got gas at a low budget gas station

it is about 10 miles away.
I dont think i am getting fire to my plugs all of the time.
i had my fiance try to start it and i held a screwdriver and there was no spark until she was getting ready to turn it off.

is there a balast resistor on the fender or somewhere under the hood for that engine? check that i had an XJ that did the same thing and the balast resistor was bad

I would say a ignition switch problem try fixing that ...I had problems with mine a while back it was that and the starter....:)

i dont think so, anything that could be taken out of the jeeps electronics were removed, the computer and alot of sensless wiring.
the only electronics now are the ignition switch, the ignition module, the solenoid, the starter, the coil, the distributor and the plugs,
I mean the guy who had it before me did not like computers at all.
it runs great when it runs.
it is making some high pitch squeaking noise coming from one of the pulleys or something, I cant locate the exact location but it makes that noise when i try to start it up

i dont think so, anything that could be taken out of the jeeps electronics were removed, the computer and alot of sensless wiring.
the only electronics now are the ignition switch, the ignition module, the solenoid, the starter, the coil, the distributor and the plugs,
I mean the guy who had it before me did not like computers at all.
it runs great when it runs.
it is making some high pitch squeaking noise coming from one of the pulleys or something, I cant locate the exact location but it makes that noise when i try to start it up

bigbronco said:
it is about 10 miles away.
I dont think i am getting fire to my plugs all of the time.
i had my fiance try to start it and i held a screwdriver and there was no spark until she was getting ready to turn it off.
This sounds like a bad ignition switch.

I put a new ignition switch in it. the one on the lower steering colum and it still wont start. any more ideas please?

Did you get the right switch? There is a switch for standard column and a switch for tilt. I still think it's the switch because you say you are getting spark when you turn it off. The switch reassigns power routes as you turn the key and it sounds like you are getting a transfer of power in one of the positions. You could also have a short in the plug that goes to the switch. I know it's aggravating, hang in there and you'll find it.

Scott

i had that same problem with my YJ when two of my wires melted together, i dont know what they were for but when they melted together everything else worked fine except that it would not start and only got spark when i first turned the key and right when i would stop trying to start it, after i pulled the two apart and taped them up it ran like nothing was wrong, my wires were melted under the hood, so i would look to see if your wires have melted together, and dont ask about how they melted its a long story that has to deal with a fire and stupidity

I'm assuming it's carburated since you said all the electronics are removed and it runs.

If you have or did have a ballast resistor it will be for the fuel pump. With the switch in START the resistor is bypassed to give the fuel pump full power.

Your problem sounds more like a wiring issue. First test the ignition switch with a multimeter to verify if it is working properly in all positions (which it sounds like it works in START if the starter motor is spinning). If it is good start looking for crossed/shorted/bare/corroded wiring between the ignition switch and ignition module. It could also be a ground fault. Bad grounds are tricky to track down and can cause very unusual things to happen

Good Luck
-Nick :!:

i found one problem so far, it was not getting fire all of the time because the out plug on the ignition module was corroded and was not letting the juice through. now i am getting fire to my plugs but it still wont start. It backfires out of the intake and exhaust. I think it is most definitely a timing problem now, since i put a new distributor in it i think i might have put it in 180 degrees off.
what do you all think?

I think it is most definitely a timing problem now

Yes, sounds like that's worth checking out. Also, are you sure the plugs are all in the correct spot on the distributor?

You still haven't mentioned what engine is in the Jeep?

-Nick :!:

I just wanted to thank everyone for assisting me and I want you all to know that it was a combination of things and she is running fine now. You all helped so much and eased the stress from not being able to go wheelin but she is finally on the trail.
thank you all

Back