88 and 93... same front?

Joopin

Super Moderator
Hey guys, this is a question for my dads jeep.
He's got a 93 2 door XJ
He is wondering if you can swap a front end (fenders, grille assembly) from an 88... Will it fit?

This isn't my strong area but I don't believe they changed the front clips on those until the final few years.

It'll be a tough fit, as there were major engine bay changes between those years. It should bolt up physically, but there were a lot of changes inside the engine bay between the Renix 4.0L and the 4.0L HO.

What engines did the '88 and '93 have?

Screw it! Make it fit, a 30 pack, welder, 2 part epoxy, and a saw zall with 5 blades and I will get it on there!

OH Duct tape, gonna need duct tape, the 200 mph stuff too!

Hmm... this brings me to an Idea I was having.
I wanted to gain some clearance in my front bumper.
will the older cherokee style front and rear bumper caps fit on my 2001?

RE: I am a Murderer

Hey Icy, I have a 92XJ and a friend has an 88XJ... Our wheel wells, front end and fender spacings are all the same... Also both have the 4 litre, though mine is the h.o. It has the same block casting and the sizes are almost matched. You shouldn't have any problems mounting in the same places. Bumper caps are also actually impossible to mix on the older to newer bodies... front is actually changed dramatically compared to 88 and 93 which are almost the same

RE: Re: I am a Murderer

I know there are slight differences to the inner fenderwells between the Renix 4.0L and the 4.0L HO. They look the same, but they're different. I've tried to interchange parts like the airbox and it simply wouldn't fit.

Trade to be Made.

the air box is different because of the vacuum on the pre '90's... after that they don't have all of the vacuum fittings on them, only the ccv and eec hoses

Back