89 YJ stalling problem

dekr

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and hoping someone can help me.

I bought an 89 YJ, 5 spd 258 I6, Carter BBD, about three months ago. It ran fine for a bit, but for a while now the engine's been dying every so often, sometimes not for days, sometimes twice in a mile, during idle and while driving at speed (I've mastered the trick of restarting the car while coasting down the road). Sometimes it backfires in the process (I've blown out two mufflers this summer!). It got to the point where it wouldn't even start up after it died, or in the morning when it was cold.

I've replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter, cleaned out the idle tubes a couple of times, and just recently did the Nutter bypass. The bypass helped a bit, took care of the vacuum advance problem on the highway and made it run a bit smoother overall. I don't have much of an issue starting now, but the engine still dies suddenly and without warning.

I really thought (hoped) the bypass would take care of the problem, my symptoms seemed to fit perfectly, but now I'm completely out of ideas. Help?!

So I stalled out on the highway during rush hour... just really glad I happened to break down close to a small pull off! Couldn't get it started, and had it towed to a shop. Two days go by, they tell me it's started up fine each time and they can't see a problem with it. I go to bring it back home, and what do you know... it dies half a mile down the road, and again another quarter mile after that.

Other than finding a different automotive shop to deal with, can anyone give me any advice?

I would start by checking your electrical connections starting at the battery and work your way through the ignition system. Make sure that they are not corroded or loose.

This almost sounds like the Duraspark module. When these will go out, the Jeep dies without warning. Double check your Nutter connections, if those are good, you might need a new module.

If you haven't already done so, also check your ground to block for looseness and fusible links (the mess of wires just below the battery) Mine was a rats nest until I swapped in the Howell TBI kit and cleaned everything up.

how about testing the coil/coil connections

how rich are you running(tail pipe kicking smoke)

Try the old pull a line plug one end and blow into the other then replace line
Easiest way I know of finding a leak

You line in a emission state otherwise plug n run

Check your starter relay all your power runs through it

Spray the side of the carter around the linkage a leak will cause lots of issues

Thank you all for all your tips and pointers!

I'm running a little rich, but not much. And tonight's agenda is to spray around looking for leaks.

I'd taken it to a shop, they said my module and coil were 'diagnostically sound', but couldn't tell me much more beyond that. Poking around myself, it looks like loose coil wire connections are the culprit. How are these supposed to be connected? It just looks like female quick disconnects.

Anyway, after jamming them on tight, I haven't had any issues!.. yet.

If you have the regular stock coil then it will be a "U" shaped harness that clips onto the top. To remove, just pull the harness toward you and it slides right off. If it's hard to remove, take a flat head screwdriver and gently wedge it between the coil wire connector and harness and push it off. You should have a green wire (sometimes with white stripe) and a yellow wire. You may also have a 3rd wire that goes to interference suppression (radio). It isn't too important if this wire is connected or not. Just make sure that your connections for green and yellow are clean and tight.

When you say that the mechanic told you that the ignition was "diagnostically sound", did he run a voltage test on the coil? From what you're describing this definitely sounds electrically and ignition related. This may cost a few dollars, but if you find a coil, ignition module from a salvage yard and swap it in, I bet that would fix your problem. The Duraspark modules go out on YJ's quite a bit and it leaves you stranded without warning. Hope this helps!

Your main problem is having a Carter carb on it. I had the same thing happen to mine and bought the Motorcraft 2100 carb and put it on. Started the first time and each time. Got rid of most of those excess vacuum lines also and can actually see the motor now. :mrgreen:

Back