91 yj doors??

cjseven84

a friend of min[e owns a 91 yj and we have tried and tried to get his doors off but they wont budge any suggestions??
image-missing.png
[addsig]

My son and I took mine off (half doors), we had to swing it more than a few times right to left, while applying penitrating oil and lightly tap, tap tap, on a nut to protect the threads. The second door, we loosened the hindge bolts a little (the other side seemed to be a little canted) grabbed firmly and pulled with all our might and both ended up on our rear with the door on top. Slow and easy the first time, lightly tapping with a hammer (plastic) seems to help the oil migrate. A little grease, on reassembly, will really help for next time.[addsig]

Ive got a 91 also, and after you take the bolt off the top hinge... be prepared to run out of breath cause i had to swing mine back and forth till i was dizzy when i did mine. id use some lube or WD-40 with the little red straw if i were you. i dont think mine had been off in a while, so it wasnt as hard to do the second time. try to keep the pressure even on the top and bottom hinge, and beware when it finally comes, the doors arent too light, so have a place to put it.[addsig]

Use two people, one to swing the door and to apply penetrating oil, and the other to lift the door up. But dont lift from the end, lift from underneath the hinges to just before half way down the bottom of the door.

( If you lift from the end it pinches the hinge rather than allowing it to poll out)[addsig]

had the same problem before too . Everyone is right with the lube, but try a product called "Move it" it works a little better than wd40 When you do get them off sand them with some sand paper and put some "Never sieze" in them. I haven't had a problem since.[addsig]

Back