930 HID Rally Lights

Joshua76

I have made a decision to purchase Hella 930 HID Rally Lights. Two lights, relays, and wiring c/ Max fuse for $984.38. Has anyone ran serious wattage lights using stock battery and alternator? Or was a secondary battery installed with an iceberg alternator? If you have pics available or tech knowledge, please share as I expect the package to arrive by Tuesday. Thanks.

Wow, those are some expensive lights! Better not knock 'em on a tree!

Holy crap!! You could almost buy a new jeep for that!! Sheesh...those things had better be solar powered, and wash your dishes or something.... that's just mind bogglingly incredible....WOW!!

I'll start by saying that, in good theory, HID shoul duse LESS watts than Halogen (typically, about half for the same light level)... So if these lights use "serious wattage", then they must be SUPER bright (which I would guess they are, given the price tag).

Having said that, I used to run my YJ with the stock alternator, even though I used an eFan, 2 sets of 100W aux lights, and a kick ass stereo with Amp, and never had any electrrical issues. Since then, though, I upgraded the alternator (167A now), and decreased the wattage of the fog lights to 55W for durability of the light bulbs and because i was blinding oncoming traffic.

Now, regarding the price, what exactly do you need these lights for? What I mean is that it may be more cost efficient to look at a cheaper set of lights, as these seem to be extremely expensive (you could buy 4 sets of daylighters for the same amount, or 3 sets of cheaper HID's), and under most ussual situations, you will not be able to use them (like road driving, or even on the trail if there is anyone in front of you). Unless you do high speed desert driving, I find it hard to justify such a large investment in a set of lights...

Felipe

Last edited:

Give me some KC Hilites, $1000 WOW
KCH630-1.jpg

I would think you're gonna be fine with the stock battery and alternator. What is the amp draw of the HID lights you're purchasing?

Assuming you wire the lights correctly with the correct amperage relay, the factory battery and alternator will be absolutley fine.

as for the light purchase, all I can say is "a fool and his money will soon be parted."

jps4jeep said:
Assuming you wire the lights correctly with the correct amperage relay, the factory battery and alternator will be absolutley fine.

as for the light purchase, all I can say is "a fool and his money will soon be parted."

Amen to THAT

Thank you for the answers. As for the price tag, you get what you pay for. If I was on a budget, I would have opted for KC Daylighters. These lights come with a 2 year warranty, they use number 2 wire, they do use about a 1/3rd less voltage, however, each light is pulling 30 amps. Traffic, :). Just make sure you dim your brights to oncoming traffic. These twin lights are 8" diameters, a push the darkness out to 1600 meters. They are in fact prohibited on public roadway in the continental 48. I will be using them off road, and on if someone forgets to dim their brights or rides my ass with their's and passes.

To each his own I suppose. For that much cash I could buy about 30 sets of what I've got. I wish you the utmost luck in not breaking them during any kind of serious wheeling.

Bounty__Hunter said:
I'm in Springfield often, hope I remember to dim my YJ's headlights LOL. Watch for a red YJ on 35"s.

You're around my neck of the woods, probably wouldn't be likely. Between Southernview, Jerome, and Sangamon County Sheriff. LOL.

My first off road vehicle was a 78 F100 on 48" boggers, 6" body lift, 6" frame lift, with 6 KC Daylighters mounted under the rear bumper and 12 on the rollbar behind the cab. Nothing says success like excess.

I get it now. It all makes so much sense. The "nothing says success like excess" cleared it all up for me.

Are these even DOT approved for on-road use?

If you were building a desert racing vehicle, I would understand the reasoning for the purchase, but not exactly how much desert there is in Ill.

also do you have a link for these lights, I googled searched and can not find any specs on them.

In an earlier post, he stated that these are actually prohibited in the lower 48. And on the other current fog lights thread, I believe there's a link for these.

Meeh.. I would venture to guess money would be better spent on lockers or something, but that is me... More Power to you, and your lights.

Ya. I have daylighters and I've used them about 3 times. When we wheel there is always someone in front. Or it's dense bush so all you are lookin at is trees.

Back